Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

As guoted by PT I don't remember there being a gaumont at Attercliffe, I can only remember the Attercliffe Palace, the Empire and the Adelphi.

Dont forget The Pavillion, near the junction of Coleridge Road, almost next door to the Salutation Inn with it's yellow facade.

The Pavillion sticks out in my mind because in the 1970's, it exclusively showed Asian films. I remember the queues clearly, the men in suits, the women in colourful saris.

Incidently, I dont remember an Attercliffe Gaumont.

I remember the 'Weston' on St Phillips Rd. Used to go twice a week in the late 40's and early 50's. When it was an 'A' film (no unaccompanied children) we used to stand outside asking strangers to take you in. Not something you could do nowadays!!

When we'd seen the programmes at the Weston we used to go to the Scala which was roughly where the Brookhill roundabout is now.

All in all we used to go to the cinema about 4 times a week but remember there was no TV in those days. It only cost about 2p a time which we earned by taking rags to the rag shop or chopping up wood to use for lighting the old coal fires.

I don't know whats what now,having left in 66.

There used to be the Ritz at Wordsworth Ave and Southey Green.

I remember all the kids from where I lived at Owlerton going to the Saturday matinee to celebrate V.E day.

On Langsett Rd was The Phoenix,the Hillsborough Kinema was on Procter place and the Hillsborough Park Cinema was at Catch Bar Lane and Middlewood Rd.

There were two on Barkers Pool ,and The Hippodrome somewhere around Charles St.This used to be a variety theatre.

The picture's was the favourite place for picking up girls when we were 15 & 16.

Was it the Elderado on Barnsley Rd just below Sheffield lane top?

I remember going there by myself when I was about 15 .

There was a girl of a simular age also alone.Before the movie was over we were necking [is that term still used?] and I think we had one date.Yikes!! What a way to meet females. this would be in 1954

Originally posted by sweetdexter

I don't know whats what now,having left in 66.

On Langsett Rd was The Phoenix,the Hillsborough Kinema was on Procter place and the Hillsborough Park Cinema was at Catch Bar Lane and Middlewood Rd.

the hillsborough park (cinema!) is now a Netto supermarket. ugh!

There were two on Barkers Pool ,and The Hippodrome somewhere around Charles St.This used to be a variety theatre.

The picture's was the favourite place for picking up girls when we were 15 & 16.[/qupte]

yes, by the grand hotel. and the gaumont, opposite!

Was it the Elderado on Barnsley Rd just below Sheffield lane top?

I remember going there by myself when I was about 15 .

There was a girl of a simular age also alone.Before the movie was over we were necking [is that term still used?] and I think we had one date.Yikes!! What a way to meet females. this would be in 1954

yes, i think you are right, the Eldorado, was on barnsley road, (IIRC)this is now a discount supermarket, underneath,opposite the huntsman pub.

It used to be a carpet showroom, above the supermarket.

PT

Hi another ex pat,can anyone remember the pictures at the top of Heeley Green I am not sure but it may have burned down in the mid 60s. also I used to go to the Heeley Picture Palace & Abbeydale,great day's.

Originally posted by tosh13

Hi another ex pat,can anyone remember the pictures at the top of Heeley Green I am not sure but it may have burned down in the mid 60s. also I used to go to the Heeley Picture Palace & Abbeydale,great day's.

the only pictures I can remember, which was at the top of Heeley Green was the one that burnt down about a month ago, which had become a snooker club, called "Potters". (after an incarnation as a bingo hall) incidentally there is a thread about that, somewhere on here. (it is also mentioned at the very beginning of this thread)

The next nearest cinema to that would have been the "Heeley Picture Palace" where Ponsford's extension is, now, just beyond the railway bridge at Heeley Bottom, heading out of town.

PT

Don't think Plaza at Handsworth has been mentioned yet - changed to bingo - possibly still is.

Does anyone remember a cinema down the Moor - left hand side heading out of town? Can remember in 1950s going with my mother to a shop which I think was Atkinson's - they had been bombed out of their store and had a temporary one whilst the new shop was being built. Think the temporary shop must have been a cinema once because I remember it had a sloping floor - anyone else remember anything about this?