Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Just been looking at Picture Sheffield website - has a photo of the Moor cleared after the blitz - caption says picture shows former Central Picture House, then owned by John Atkinson - so they must have moved their shop into a building which they actually owned. Don't know what happened to it after new shop was built though.

Atkinsons used the locarno (now "bed") as a temporary warehouse, iirc, after the bomb damage during the war. (I could be wrong, tho)

the plaza at handsworth is now a bowling alley: I believe it was also a bingo hall, about 20 yrs ago.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Atkinsons used the locarno (now "bed") as a temporary warehouse, iirc, after the bomb damage during the war. (I could be wrong, tho)

the plaza at handsworth is now a bowling alley: I believe it was also a bingo hall, about 20 yrs ago.

PT

I think The Lansdowne Picture Palace was the original name of the building and as I remember, it was used by Marks & Spencers after the Blitz. The cinema half way down the Moor was the Central and that was used by Atkinsons.

Has anyone heard of or know where the Rutland Picture House was ? and when it closed down and if the buildig is still there. The reason I ask is whilst refurbishing my house I found some old cinema tickets for the Rutland Picture House and I would love to be able to put a date to the tickets.

The Rutland cinema was at the bottom of Rutland Rd at the junction of Neepsend lane where the traffic lights are ,believe its and office now, the cinema was pulled down to build the offices.

that sure is a memory jogger i do remenber going a couple of times when i was a lad with my mum,

Regards

Soggy

Originally posted by soggy

The Rutland cinema was at the bottom of Rutland Rd at the junction of Neepsend lane where the traffic lights are ,believe its and office now, the cinema was pulled down to build the offices.

that sure is a memory jogger i do remenber going a couple of times when i was a lad with my mum,

Regards

Soggy

Cheers for the info Soggy, might well have been your tickets that I've found :D

Originally posted by tosh13

Hi another ex pat,can anyone remember the pictures at the top of Heeley Green I am not sure but it may have burned down in the mid 60s. also I used to go to the Heeley Picture Palace & Abbeydale,great day's.

There was a picture's at the top of Heeley green there was a butchers shop opposite & a place you could go for a sasparilla & others refreshments,The HeeLEY PP was a regular haunt of mine someone nicked my Man From Uncle Gun,never got it back after handing it over before I could go in,so if anyone has seen my gun can I have it back lol