Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Originally posted by pietro

The old Abbeydale picture house is having a couple of open days, in conjuction with Architectural Heritage Week.

There's guided tours held every hour on September 11 th, 12th. 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.

I went around it, and it brought a few memories back for me from the 70's.

I was amazed how good the condition of the place is, but its going to take a lot of money to restore it to its former glory.

There is a web site here

Originally posted by juliediane

Hi Juliediane Had to laugh at that one. Brought back memories. We used to go to the LITTLE DICK. There used to be 2 grumpy old commisionairs? I think they called them. They were twins. They used to push the kids in on the front row and they used to fall off at the other end . Usually Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey Sat arvo followed by Tom and Jerry. Come out covered in fleas. Ha!Ha! They say if you went in with a suit on you'd come out with the buttons. Can't stop laughing at this Used to go to the Balfour a lot but mainly the Lyric cause we used to get good fish and chips from the corner shop and share them

Thanks for the memeories Juliediane.

Regards Vera

• 3 weeks later...

As kids we used to go to the heeley Palace on a Saturday afternoon ,late fifties,We used to get six penorth of mixed from the chippie on Myrtle Rd (chips,mushey peas and scraps) and eat them out the paper walking down.Highlight was the serial at the end Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by deecee

I have a list of them,

Darnall Lyric

Regal on Staniforth Road ( Attercliffe end )

Oxford at Upperthorpe

Don on West Bar Green

The Weston (bug hut ) ( you used to come out of there feeling really "alive" )

The Scala (at the end of the road where the Arts tower is today)

The Palace Union Street

The Hipperdrome

Star cinema on Ecclesall Road

There was one on South Road Walkley I think it was called The Palace but am not sure, but I have a feeling someone will know and post the correct answer

this site certainly gets your mind in gear, lol

deecee

remember the victory on upwell street

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

Was it the Elderado on Barnsley Rd just below Sheffield lane top?

I remember going there by myself when I was about 15 .

It was actually the Essaldo!

it was the capital when i was a lad used

to go saturday afternoons you sunk in the carpets at that time

that was in the later war years not giving my age away

There was one on South Road Walkley I think it was called The Palace but am not sure, but I have a feeling someone will know and post the correct answer

It was called THE WALKLEY PALLADIUM, and was situated next door to the Rose House pub, there is still an area of waste grass between it and the next road. Looks very small bit of land but there it was. I dont think it was a very large building and had a fairly small capacity. Most people assume NETTO used to be the old cinema as its a big square building, but that was in fact a garage at one point I believe.

• 4 weeks later...