Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

it is no llonger there.

it's a newer building that stands on the site now.

I am not sure if the Classic was finished -off when the fire happened at wigfalls, or whether there was another fire that "did-for" the classic... (I definitely seen to remember fire being involved.. perhaps it was from the restaurant, below the cinema itself? that rings bells)

the new building houses a "Nobles' Amusements arcade" and a "Quit "Charity shop.

I never realised that there was all the ornate achitecture that decorated the stonework to the front of the Classic, as it was always covered, with a sort of fascia.. first, with the oval clock. Then, some years later, when the clock was broken, the oval opening was filled with a gaudy multicoloured abstract thing that looked like a squashed beach-ball.

PT

• 3 months later...

don't remember there ever being a heeley green cinema, where was it

Originally posted by Banksia

The Heeley Green Cinema which is now a snooker hall and where my grandmother, my mother and I worked at different times in the past. The Heeley Coliseum which became a Fine Fare supermarket back in the sixties. And yes, The Heeley Picture Palace which is now Pondsfords. This was where, as children we spent some wonderful Saturday afternoons at the kids matinees.

The following book lists many old cinemas, including opening and closing dates, seating capacities and in many cases the first and last films shown. Also has pictures of many of the premises.

In Memory of Sheffield's Cinemas by Richard Ward

Sheffield City Libraries

Apologies if this is going off topic but.....

Where Somerfields is on White Lane, near Gleadless Town End (was originally Kwik Save)

What was the building used for before this......

I'm sure my parents said it was a dance hall or cinema or something.

I used to live around there and I can vaguely remember a boarded up building, but would like to see a photo if anybody has one.

When the original building was knocked down, my Dad raided the skips (with the builders permission I might add) and used the old 'dance' floorboards and an internal door, complete with original hinges and door handles to build a new shed in his garden!