Old Sheffield Picture Palaces

Thank you Mikey!:clap:

Azena, yes I remember now.... did a quick search on this forum for azena and found a bit more info.

No picture though as it was, :(

only a picture of Kwick Save.

Appreciate your help

LoopyLou

:clap:

The picture houses in Barker's Pool were originally called,

The Cinema House and the Regent. The Cinema House is now a Jewellers and The Regent was renamed The Gaumant.

I used to go dancing at the Azena and In the interval crossed the Rd to the Pub on the corner of White Lane. The Landlord there was a Frank Sinatra,/Ella. /Sarah Vaughn/ Louie Armstrong fan and played all their records.

I can recall the thrill of the music, whirl of the dancing and the meeting of my 1st boyfriend. Everything sparkled, the lights the music and me.

hazel

it was prob freezing cold and it was frost that was sparkling. but not as I saw it

i was born in netherthorpe / st philips area the cinemas we used ( all long gone ) the palladium at south rd walkley now netto the scala western bank the building was used by the uni

for a time then later demolished, the oxford beside upperthorpe library. the roscoe shalesmoor, the don picture house west bar now a storage facillity and the weston bottom of weston street

Doesn't anyone remember the Oxford Street picture palace in Oxford Street right at the bottom of Crookesmoor Road? Saturday mornings in the 60’s we would go and see cowboy B movies where the “goodie” always won the “baddie”. We saw Flash Gordon in black and white……at times it was a riot….how the ushers kept control I will never know…….

Originally posted by all4_ofus

don't remember there ever being a heeley green cinema, where was it

the heeley green cinema later to be known as the tudor , then potters snooker was bang opposite the wagon and horses pub on gleadless road .

Originally posted by stevie1957

Doesn't anyone remember the Oxford Street picture palace in Oxford Street right at the bottom of Crookesmoor Road? Saturday mornings in the 60’s we would go and see cowboy B movies where …….

Stevie...Iw as a faithful follower at teh Oxford, ut I thought it was Saturday afternoons. 6d was the admission and if I remember they sold rocket shaped ice lollies at the intermission.

Other film serial I remember included one where some guy flew around saving the world with a rocket pack on his back and one where there were a gang of kids who had some wonderful 'den' and they fought the baddies but that is just a hazy memory.

Do you also remember when yo-yo's were all the craze and they had yo-yo championships with some guy giving a show on the stage?

Originally posted by docmel

Stevie...Iw as a faithful follower at teh Oxford, ut I thought it was Saturday afternoons. 6d was the admission

You are right sir it was afternoons. I stand corrected. I can't remember the yo-yo demo's, but then again the old grey matter is fuzzy at the best of times. I wonder if the fella is still with us. I wasn't allowed a yo-yo after bouncing one off my brothers head :(. My father had no sence of humour. I used to go with my cousin, Robert England. I think it's a bank now?

• 1 month later...

Anybody remember a cinema called the Unity? Was it somewhere near the Roscoe on Middlewood Road? I can remember the majority of the places mentioned, especially around the City Cente and the North East of Sheffield, cant place the Unity.

Anybody remember a cinema called the Unity? Was it somewhere near the Roscoe on Middlewood Road? I can remember the majority of the places mentioned, especially around the City Center and the North East of Sheffield, cant place the Unity.