Does anyone have a recipe for Old Fashioned Ginger Beer

Many moons ago I can remember as a child making ginger beer the old fashioned way when you had to feed a mixture of ginger, yeast and sugar etc was it a teaspoon of sugar or something a day.

Then you used to split the mixture, use half to make the ginger beer and the other half to start all over again .... or something similar ...

Please can anyone help me out with the recipe for Old Fashioned Ginger Beer?

I love Ginger beer!My mother-in-law gave me a recipe for it years ago,and I still haven't got around do trying it.I think its on a scrap of paper around somewhere,if I can find it tomorrow,I'l type it up.It might motivate me to make some.

I think the quantities vary on the volume you intend to make. I made some by mixing a tablespoon of honey with warm water, adding the yeast and grated fresh ginger, putting it all into a 2l bottle and filling about 3/4 full with water. Seal and keep somewhere warm. Left it for 3 days and it was ready.

Presume you mean the old ginger beer plant in a jam jar,

15 grams -half ounce general purpose dried yeast

300ml-half pint water

sugar

ground ginger

jiuce of two lemons

1 put yeast into a jar, add water, 2 level teaspoons sugar,2 level teaspoons of ginger and mix together.

2 cover jar with a sheet of polythene kept in place with a rubber band.

3 each day, for seven days, add 1 level teaspoon sugar, 1 level teaspoon ginger

4 now strain the mixture through a piece of fine muslin and add the lemon jiuce to the liquid.

the ginger beer may now be made either as a sweet still drink, or dry and sparkling.

it is important however to follow the instructions carefully, so that there is no risk of exploding bottles.

Sweet still ginger beer-

prepared ginger beer plant

450g-1 pound sugar

600ml-1 pint water

1 put all in a saucepan, stir until sugar has dissolved

2 bring to the boil and simmer 5 minutes to ensure the yeast is killed

3 make up to 4.5 litres -1 gallon with cold water

4 bottle and cork tightly keep for a few days before drinking.

Dry sparkling ginger beer,

prepared ginger beer plant

50g-2ounce of sugar

water

1 add sugar to ginger beer plant and make up to 4.5 litres-1 gallon with cold water, stirring to disolve the sugar.

2 bottle into screw top bottles (pop bottles will do)

keep for 7-10 days when the ginger beer is sparkling and ready to drink.

KEEP the sediment that you strained from the ginger beer plant, divide in two and give one away, then start again with the half pint water and feeding.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived