Old Houses And Wells On Cross Hill Ecclesfield

Mickeycfish

I am interested in the location and history of old household wells serving the houses on Cross Hill Ecclesfield. I live on Cross Hill at what was once the site of the Toll House. (or so I was told). There was supposedly a well somewhere on the property and I would love to be able to locate it. Also to know more of the history of the area. If you know of a council department where I may find out more that would be helpful. Waiting in anticipation, Joy.

There were three Toll Houses in Ecclesfield - one near the former Arundel Pub. Imagine looking at the pub from the bottom of Church Street. Where the pub car park is, was the Cinema House. To the left was a Toll House (opposite the old farm house which at that time was 'The Plough' public House). The others were at Station Road and, as you rightly say, at Cross Hill - around where Cross Hill Close now is. I have lived in the village all my life, but have no idea where the wells were - apart from Well Lane (where The EPPiC Theatre is) at the side of Singleton Haulage, as at one time that area was the village green. I believe there used to be six of them around there at one time. The Common/Cross Hill was 'turnpiked' (Tolled) in 1758 and lasted until 1876. The Toll Houses were operated by the Sheffield and Wakefield Turnpike Trust. Of course the road in those days would have been simply flattened earth.

If you are interested in the history of Ecclesfield Village, you may like to visit the exhibition at The Gatty Hall in Priory Road, on Saturday and Sunday - 13/14 October next. It is being presented by the Chapeltown and High Green Archive. Ecclesfield has much history. Parts of the Parish Church date back to the year 1111, and at one time the Parish was the largest in the country. The exhibition is open from 1100 - 1700 on the Saturday and, from 10.30 - 1600 on the Sunday. Admission is £1.00. Well worth a visit (if you will excuse the pun).

Just a thought. If you are living in one of the terraces in Cross Hill and you have a cellar - have a look at its floor to see if it is all laid the same. I have been talking to someone about your thread. He said that he believed that some house in the village had wells in the cellar. No doubt they have all now been covered over. Further down Cross Hill there is the old 'Floodgate' area, so it could all fit in. Just a thought really. Good luck with it.

• 2 years later...
I am interested in the location and history of old household wells serving the houses on Cross Hill Ecclesfield. I live on Cross Hill at what was once the site of the Toll House. (or so I was told). There was supposedly a well somewhere on the property and I would love to be able to locate it. Also to know more of the history of the area. If you know of a council department where I may find out more that would be helpful. Waiting in anticipation, Joy.

I use to live at 353 the common(side of sports entrance)seem to remember owner of pilley row house (other side) once saying they had one

Archived