2007/2008- A great year for Sheffield parties???

tommyB

Population:

Sheffield - 520,700 (Sheffield Urban Area - 640,720)

Manchester - 452,000 (Greater Manchester - 2,240,230)

We'll never have the same range of events that go on in Manchester, there just aren't the people around to support it.

That said, for all Manchester and Leeds' supposed superiority, there's only 2 events between them that I go to. I'm sure there a few underground nights there that I haven't found but exactly the same can be said of Sheffield.

A lot of what goes on there, also happens here. That's particularly true of events that book larger acts.

Population:

Sheffield - 520,700 (Sheffield Urban Area - 640,720)

Manchester - 452,000 (Greater Manchester - 2,240,230)

We'll never have the same range of events that go on in Manchester, there just aren't the people around to support it.

That said, for all Manchester and Leeds' supposed superiority, there's only 2 events between them that I go to. I'm sure there a few underground nights there that I haven't found but exactly the same can be said of Sheffield.

A lot of what goes on there, also happens here. That's particularly true of events that book larger acts.

Sorry to be pedantic, but why are you comparing population figures of great manchester to sheff urban area?!?!?

Greater Manchester is more or less the equivalent to the South Yorks area which stands at around 1.8m

Sorry to be pedantic, but why are you comparing population figures of great manchester to sheff urban area?!?!?

Greater Manchester is more or less the equivalent to the South Yorks area which stands at around 1.8m

Just stating the obvious really. I could be way off here, but I think people in and around Greater Manchester seem more inclined to travel for their clubbing kicks. Us Yorkshire folk seem to want and expect everything right on our doorstep! I know people in Burnley, Bolton, Salford who pretty much get to everything they can and think nothing of hopping on the train. A lot of people I know in Sheffield moan when they have to get a taxi to the Wicker from Ecclesall Road, never mind a train to Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester.

I'm generalising but you get the idea?

There are a lot more venues and a much more thriving club scene in general. Greater Manchester in that sense has more in common with London than it does Yorkshire, and that goes for business, arts and general entertainment.

That doesn't mean I'm jumping on the 'I love Leeds/Manchester/London so much but I wont actually move there so I'll just moan about Sheffield all day until someone listens' bandwagon that some forummers are pulling around. I love certain aspects of Sheffield, and the club nights I really love I think are as good as any I've been to in the country.

Some interesting points here...some I agree with, some I dont.

I think its fair to say the last 18 months has been a period where people have been keeping an eye on the money in their pockets. In turn they have been picking and choosing their nights out rather than supporting events on a weekly basis.

This obviously has a direct effect on numbers through doors and in turn the confidence of promoters to develop their events. Its not just a Sheffield thing, its happened everywhere.

As a promoter I can tell you its been hard. Judging what people want and therefore to get them spend their money at the door has never been harder and the risks get higher.

Yes youre absolutely right tommyB, Sheffield does not have a broad selection of venues to choose from unlike the other city's mentioned . That's Sheffield's achilles heel.

In particular Sheffield lacks smaller venues with late licence's.

A 250 capacity venue that is always full will generally draw more attention than a 600 capacity thats struggles to half fill. In a city like Sheffield, the former gains a buzz and the latter is dismissed as ****e!...and probably folds.

Archived