Memory test for you! GCE "O" Levels...

That's interesting, ladyacademic and chairboy....

I took my 'O's in 66 or 67, and could have sworn that the above answers (i.e A through to U) were correct...

You've got me thinking now....

When were CSE's phased in, I wonder?

The two exam types overlapped by a few years?

That's interesting, ladyacademic and chairboy....

I took my 'O's in 66 or 67, and could have sworn that the above answers (i.e A through to U) were correct...

You've got me thinking now....

When were CSE's phased in, I wonder?

The two exam types overlapped by a few years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Secondary_Education

Well, I'm so sad I actually fished out my GCE O level certificate to see whether it was numbers or letters, only to find that they just gave them as passes! And that was in 1968 - makes you wonder why they bothered grading them, if they didn't put the grades on your certificate :loopy:

I have a feeling that in the 60's, the GCE 'O' level was graded with numbers, 1-6 being deemed passes and 7-9 failures.

I think those were CSEs, where a grade 1 was equivalent to an O Level grade C. CSEs ran concurrently with O Levels, I think.

Well, I'm so sad I actually fished out my GCE O level certificate to see whether it was numbers or letters, only to find that they just gave them as passes! And that was in 1968 - makes you wonder why they bothered grading them, if they didn't put the grades on your certificate :loopy:

Can't confirm whether or not the grades were on certificates but when the results came out, they were on a postcard with the numbers alongside the subjects.

I finished my main schooling towards the end of the old system and was lucky to achive O levels and CSE passes.

O level passes were ABC and a cse grade 1 was regarded as almost equivalent to an o'level grade C but not quite the same status.

Some of my teachers made a mess of my exam entries and I finished up being entered for CSEs which I would have more than likely achived O-level passes in but they were peripheral subjects anyhow, like music. So it didn't make much difference to my career options.

I even paid extra to be entered for both CSE and O Level geography, and they completely messed it up and I finished up with no grade and my money back!. But being a demure schoolboy I was over-polite and thought it was my fault.

In recent years at night school I have gained GCSE grade A and A level passes but it is difficult to campare the brain of a 15 year old schoolboy and a late 30s man with time and an ability to revise and prepare for exam after the training of further and higher education and a small amout of wisdom and maturity. When I was at school I didn't know how to revise at all and passed all my exams by "winging it" on the day. Apart from music, I passed my Tuba playing practical with one of the highest marks of the year in the city, but I think it must have been funny as well as a reasonable job! My pianio acompaniest messed up one of the repeats and I carried the whole show anyhow, and jammed through to the end, and the invidulator was unaware.

I finished my main schooling towards the end of the old system and was lucky to achive O levels and CSE passes.

O level passes were ABC and a cse grade 1 was regarded as almost equivalent to an o'level grade C but not quite the same status.

Some of my teachers made a mess of my exam entries and I finished up being entered for CSEs which I would have more than likely achived O-level passes in but they were peripheral subjects anyhow, like music. So it didn't make much difference to my career options.

I even paid extra to be entered for both CSE and O Level geography, and they completely messed it up and I finished up with no grade and my money back!. But being a demure schoolboy I was over-polite and thought it was my fault.

In recent years at night school I have gained GCSE grade A and A level passes but it is difficult to campare the brain of a 15 year old schoolboy and a late 30s man with time and an ability to revise and prepare for exam after the training of further and higher education and a small amout of wisdom and maturity. When I was at school I didn't know how to revise at all and passed all my exams by "winging it" on the day. Apart from music, I passed my Tuba playing practical with one of the highest marks of the year in the city, but I think it must have been funny as well as a reasonable job! My pianio acompaniest messed up one of the repeats and I carried the whole show anyhow, and jammed through to the end, and the invidulator was unaware.

You jammed on a tuba?!

Excellent!

Now that's what I call talent!

Archived