Memory test for you! GCE "O" Levels...

CSE syllabi were entirely different from GCE O level syllabi; hence, you could not get the equivalent of an A grade at GCE O level, no matter how well you performed on a CSE paper. Even 100% on a CSE paper did not equate to a top GCE O level pass.

I say "entirely different;" obviously they'd cover the same subject, but either not as much of it, or not in as much depth, or both.

Thank you, I had some idea of that. I get the feeling that they therefor were looked down upon. Dose this mean that a person that CSE and earned a 1 and then studied the same subject at GCE O-Level would be able to get a good pass in the O-Level?

Thank you, I had some idea of that. I get the feeling that they therefor were looked down upon. Dose this mean that a person that CSE and earned a 1 and then studied the same subject at GCE O-Level would be able to get a good pass in the O-Level?

It doesn't automatically follow, but it was more than possible. Under the 11-plus system, quite a lot of children who were bright by the time they reached thirteen were already condemned to a school that would only teach the CSE course. (In theory, such a child could move to a school that taught the GCE courses - in practice, I don't think it happened very often for numerous reasons.)

One advantage to the comprehensive system was that this decision was delayed until the CSE or GCE course was actually being started. There were very few others!

It doesn't automatically follow, but it was more than possible. Under the 11-plus system, quite a lot of children who were bright by the time they reached thirteen were already condemned to a school that would only teach the CSE course. (In theory, such a child could move to a school that taught the GCE courses - in practice, I don't think it happened very often for numerous reasons.)

One advantage to the comprehensive system was that this decision was delayed until the CSE or GCE course was actually being started. There were very few others!

Yes people often overlook this bonus point.Good GCSE courses placed no limits on what grades people could get.

I think those were CSEs, where a grade 1 was equivalent to an O Level grade C. CSEs ran concurrently with O Levels, I think.

No. They were GCEs. I have my certificate and it's graded 1 to 6. (Mostly 1 to3) :hihi:

No. They were GCEs. I have my certificate and it's graded 1 to 6. (Mostly 1 to3) :hihi:

I think you mean GCSE, GCES were graded A,B,C,D and E - A,B and C being passes and this was still case when I took mine in early 1980's - I got Grade A

I think you mean GCSE, GCES were graded A,B,C,D and E - A,B and C being passes and this was still case when I took mine in early 1980's - I got Grade A

The first GCSEs were set in 1988. Before 1988 and between 1951-1986/1988 they were GCE O-Level. Did you taket GCE's or GCSEs

Archived