Anyone remember their reading books at school?

Deebles

I went to primary school in the 1970's and recall reading books with the following titles in the infants:-

Mr Huff, Puff and Gruff (a short story about a man and his 2 dogs)

Tick Tock Ten O Clock (Had Mr Huff, Puff and Gruff in it)

Peg Leg Meg (can't remember the story)

Scraps Club?

There were several other books but can't recall them at the moment. Anyone else remember these books? Are any of the titles still around? Can anyone add to the list, they all looked similar, thin white books with a coloured picture on the front.

Later we went on to Janet and John books.

The first books I remember are the 'Janet and John' books, closely followed by 'Topsy and Tim'. I distinctly remember several books about pirates: Roderick the Red, somebody else the Green and someone else the Blue. Later, I remember moving on to the CS Lewis Narnia series, then Enid Blyton, then Stephen King :hihi: .

The first books I remember are the 'Janet and John' books, closely followed by 'Topsy and Tim'. I distinctly remember several books about pirates: Roderick the Red, somebody else the Green and someone else the Blue. Later, I remember moving on to the CS Lewis Narnia series, then Enid Blyton, then Stephen King :hihi: .

I went to St Theresa's in the 60's and Milly Molly Mandy was the books we were given.

Well we had a copy of Fungus The Bogeyman in our classroom in 1977/8 and everyone was desperate to get their hands on it. It was THE book to own, a bit like Smurf models and records by Darts.

Strangely, I wasn't an avid reader at school (although my school reports from Nethergreen seem to say otherwise, 'David likes to settle down with a book') but I, like everyone else wanted to get his hands on Fungus The Bogeyman.

And then the shops were full of little plastic 'bins' full of Slime. Indeed, these were great but snotty days.

Archived