Anyone remember their reading books at school?

Deebles

The first books I remember are the 'Janet and John' books, ...

Just remembered that it was 'Peter and Jane' not 'Janet and John'. They had a red setter dog, as I recall.

Just remembered that it was 'Peter and Jane' not 'Janet and John'. They had a red setter dog, as I recall.

this is going back to the 50's - did these books have different coloured covers according to your reading ability? - or am I just imagining it? - or were there different books that were colour graded?

this is going back to the 50's - did these books have different coloured covers according to your reading ability? - or am I just imagining it? - or were there different books that were colour graded?

My memory of the Peter & Jane books is from the mid 70s. As I recall, they were numbered: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc as you progressed through the series. I could be wrong, as it's a rather hazy memory.

I think the pirate books were graded by colour, with Roderick the Red being the first and the language getting a little more complex with the blue and green pirates. Again, it's all a little hazy though.

I used to love the Topsy and Tim books, the one that has always stuck in my mind, is where they go to a fancy dress party as gypsies? i think, and they put cocoa mixed with water on their faces to make them look suntanned (i presume) i always wanted to try that, and my Mum wouldn't let me!! evil woman ;)

When my brother and I were kids, a family friend gave us a book each as a gift. My brother ' The lion the witch and the wardrobe' and mine was ' The boy who came to stay'. It was the first hardback I ever read and lead to a lifetimes love of books. Thank goodness the kids imaginatons have now been captured by the Harry Potter books, I hope they go on to the same love of books. Btw, I've just googled 'The boy who came to stay' for a bit of nostalgia and found nothing,anyone remember it?

"One, Two, Three And Away" - stories about Roger Red-Hat, Jennifer Yellow-Hat etc. These were 'thin white books with a coloured picture on the front'.

"Through The Rainbow" books.

The Gay Way Readers.

"Colour Story" Readers.

"Wide Range" Readers.

I can remember the Wide Range books and that's about all.

Archived