Lantern house take away?

confused

anyone been?

i think it's quite new, it in broomhill, near sumerfields, it's pretty good! it's not much to look at from the outside, the most i can say is that it's clean and light.

i've been a few times, mainly for lunch and once for dinner.

they have a lunch box thing for about £3:50, it's pretty cheap for a big box with dish and rice! i couldnt finish one by myself, had to share it!

the only problem i had was that the lunch menu wasnt very clear, i had to ask for the choses. the good thing is you can make up your own thing, when it's not on the lunch menu! they have a few tables that you can eat your lunch at, but the sun'll on your back, nice when it's cool, but not so nice when it's hot!

We think the Lantern is great, especially the big vegetarian selection. And the people running it are lovely too.

Our only worry is that it doesn't seem to be very busy and I hope it doesn't close down due to lack of business. So everyone should go along there to try it out at least once and then they won't shut !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Each to his own opinion, but I tried the Lantern House tonight and it really ranks among the worst Chinese takeaways ever. To take it dish by dish;

The salt and pepper squid was truly vile. I took one bite and ran from the room to spit it out. The texture was horrible and there was an aftertaste of stale fish.

The curry? Like no other I've ever tried. Watery sauce that tasted of precisely nothing. Took one spoonful and left it.

Moving on, the vegetarians in our group were looking forward to the tofu dishes. They were to be disappointed by the astonishingly awful tofu in sweet and sour sauce;triangles of fried polystyrene in pink water. No, unfair - water tastes of more. Likewise the bland yellow bean and chilli sauce on the other dish.

On the plus side, the vegetarian crispy duck was very good.

But overall, the place amply fulfilled the old adage that an hour after a Chinese takeway, you're ready for another. We certainly were, because the majority of this one was in the bin.

I am sorry to hear this. We have never ever had a bad meal there, in fact quite the opposite and everyone I've taken there has loved it too. Can't think what happened and was it definitely the same place we are talking about?

Archived