How do you pronounce the letter "H"?

Ally68

How do you pronounce the letter "H"?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the letter "H"?

• 2 years later...

I was listening to Hallam FM this morning and Tripple-M was pronouncing the letter 'haitch'. Well, that is how I was taught to pronounce the letter when I was at school. It was strange Tripple-M couldn't see the difference between 'haitch' and 'aitch'. I know that in different countries people pronounce this word differently and I believe even within the UK, people from different parts pronounce this letter differently. Does anyone now how this letter is pronounced according to Queen's English? I think that must be the correct way - isn't it?

It's 'aitch'.

Also watch out for 'hart', as in drawring.

Sorry! got to correct you there - the word is DRAWING!! (it's one of my pet hates when it is pronounced with an 'r' in it - reminds me of a mardy kid screaming its head of saying "I WNAT TO DO A DRAW-RING AND AM NOT GONNA SHUT UP TILL I DO!":hihi:

It is aitch!!!! like previous posters, it drives me silly when people put an 'h' in front of it!!! If you think about it, it is only in more recent years it has become an issue. You would think the BBC would know better, but I have heard them pronounce it incorrectly too.

Apparently centuries ago it was the upper crust lords and ladies who said aitch and dropped their 'h's as in 'elp and 'all. Whilst the lower classes said haitch and prounounced their 'h's as in help and hall. I just haven't as yet been able to find out when all that changed.

Archived