Is Sheffield good for a night out? Why do other places seem better?

*Ryan*

I like Sankeys as a venue but not the events they put on. Although when I was there last I had an interesting conversation with a man from Burnley, who told me he was going to be the most famous poet in England within 5 years.

Warehouse Project has moved this year, and I haven't been to the current venue before. Last years show with LFO was brilliant though.

I heard that last years was good but didn't it get some stick for being a crap venue relying on big name DJs to pull in the punters? Just what I heard on the grapevine though, might be totally wrong. Looking forward to this one though, Boys Noize were mint at UG the other month and of course soulwax are legends.

I love Sankeys and the nights they put on, Axwell was amazing there, one of the best nights out ive had in a long while. The basement is a shining example of a perfect clubbing room! Great soundsystem, great lights, great layout etc etc.

And of course, crazy poets. Genius.

I heard that last years was good but didn't it get some stick for being a crap venue relying on big name DJs to pull in the punters? Just what I heard on the grapevine though, might be totally wrong. Looking forward to this one though, Boys Noize were mint at UG the other month and of course soulwax are legends.

I love Sankeys and the nights they put on, Axwell was amazing there, one of the best nights out ive had in a long while. The basement is a shining example of a perfect clubbing room! Great soundsystem, great lights, great layout etc etc.

And of course, crazy poets. Genius.

Not sure, I didn't go to any of the really big line-ups like Carl Cox. Not really my thing. I'd like to see Sven Vath, Vitalic and Miss Kittin this year on top of my Aphex Twin ticket. I'm crying already.

Depends what you want from a night out. I go to gigs in Manchester as alot of bands I like don't play here! But I'm from the country originally you can take the country out of the girl...So to me just being able to go out is great! I am into rock/indie music so I tend to go to the same places, not too many to choose from really now. I used to go up west street more but it is so expensive now!:roll:

I don't think Sheffields that bad at all, i keep seeing these posts on here, sounds like a lot of you are just bored of going to the same places all the time, getting a bit like that in Leeds a little bit at the moment for us who live here, my favourite club the Northern Light got shut down recently, this place could do with a new venue too.

Think yourselves lucky you don't live in somewhere like Hull or Blackpool!

• 2 weeks later...
Sheffield is 3rd rate. anywhere else is bound to be better.

This is the general opinion of Sheffield clubbers and people that have been to Sheffield on a night out from out of town. We rarely get many people coming here on a weekend purely because there is a lack of variety of quality nights out. There are some decent nights on but there is not really any night that i can honestly say I am there every Saturday night because it is brilliant. Most of the premier nights in Sheffield is superstar dj led, which means there is no focus on club night at all. Leeds is saturated but at least you will get good nights there. I will be amongst the legion of Sheffielders descending on Manchester tonight, purely because club managers are simply not in connection with what Sheffield people want any more. The sad irony of this is, there is only club Vibe that has quality product (of its own kind) that has any attraction to anyone. The rest is all tried and tested average nights with little substance. There is not even a quality R&B or an old skool hip hop night available on Saturday. That is very poor for the city the size of Sheffield.:roll:

There is not even a quality R&B or an old skool hip hop night available on Saturday. That is very poor for the city the size of Sheffield.:roll:
You have the knowledge, contacts, experience and records to make it work, why don't you get a night like this running?

Archived