KFC - Firth Park

Ousetunes

Bharet Patel owns the franchise for Kfc in sheffield and other parts of the region. Is this any relation? I no he started out with the one on Middlewood Road at hillsborough more than 20 yrs ago.

Not sure, although I have had dealings with Bharet, not sure if he's related.

Dr Patel used to be my neighbour when we lived in Ranmoor.

Anant and Illa came to live at his house in 1976. Anant was studying to be a doctor so I presume he and Illa took on the KFC franchise at Firth Park to earn a living. I met (a) Bharat on a number of occasions so I presume he is now the guy running the whole regional franchise? I also recall Poppat running a take-away on the Wicker (though my older brother may know more about this than I do: I was only 8 or 9).

In the days when my father and brother regularly visited, the whole KFC range was superior to what it is now. The coating on the chicken was much nicer; they did spare ribs which left your fingers red for the rest of the week (I do wish they'd make those again) and you could buy hot apple pie (that was akin to putting molten lava in your mouth if you didn't let it cool). They also sold Alpine fizzy drinks.

I used to help make up KFC boxes which came flat-packed. It was a matter of shaping them into a box and inserting a greaseproof lining. Then you added napkin, salt and pepper and probably plastic knife and fork/spoon. You can imagine how soon I tired of making these on a Saturday morning aged nine or ten!!!

Nice memories.

Archived