William J Patchett / William M Patchett

frits_stuur

I am looking for any information on either or both of two men named Patchett, and/or their businesses:

- William Johnson Patchett, a builder / contractor in Hillsborough, active (at least) from February 1906, and until at least 1927; for about ten years he had a workshop at Dodd St / Trickett Rd (perhaps on the site of the former roller skating rink; currently the location of Barkers Furniture)

- William Maxfield Patchett, perhaps the son of William Johnson above; a builders' merchants, from the early 1920s at the site above, Dodd St / Trickett Rd; and from about 1932 at 121 Holme Lane (currently the location of Building Supplies (Holme Lane) Ltd.).

Anyone anything? Thanks

I can’t help much with this but I remember in Hillsborough in the 1950s, and perhaps a bit later, seeing a small, dark blue, open-backed lorry with the name Patchett and an address in Holme Lane. The 1925 directory lists "William Johnson Patchett, builder", at 4 Crofton Avenue, Hillsborough. There is also "William Maxfield Patchett, builder’s merchant" at three addresses, these being Dodd Street, 44 Trickett Road and 127 Bradfield Road, with his home address also at 4 Crofton Avenue. Various other Patchetts are also listed, engaged in different businesses from "carting contractor" to "sausage skin maker". The 1901 census return lists a William J. Patchett, a "builder and contractor" then aged 25 and living at 95 Penistone Road, Wadsley Bridge. He was born at Toynton, Lincolnshire, and lived with his wife Fanny, 27, and brother Ernest, a bricklayer aged 18. Nearby at 93 Penistone Road lived Daniel J. Patchett, a bricklayer aged 28, also born at Toynton - perhaps another brother. Earlier census returns confirm the Lincolnshire (agricultural) origins of the family.

Thanks to “hillsbro” for the information! He calls it ‘not much’, but for me it is a lot more than I knew.

Hillsbro’s data seems to tie in neatly with information on a site about 'Relatives & Neighbours of the Family of Kevin Roy Shucksmith' (I am too recent on Sheffield Forum to be allowed to use the url :):

Mr Daniel Patchett, born 1844, Swaby, Lincolnshire

Mrs Daniel Patchett, born 1841, Toynton, Lincolnshire

Mr Daniel (G?) Patchett, born 1871-1872. Toynton, Lincolnshire

I don’t know what date this is supposed to refer to; but it seems to make sense to assume that the younger Daniel Patchett (“Mr Daniel (G?)”) equates with the 28 year old Daniel who lived at 93 Penistone road in 1901; that the elder Mr Daniel and Mrs Daniel were his parents; and that the younger children, William Johnson and Ernest, had not been born yet.

I have an Ernest Hy. Patchett, foreman, living at 41 Dodd Street in 1930: that is, right next door to the workshop of William Johnson Patchett and/or William Maxfield Patchett; and therefore presumably a relative of theirs, and foreman in their business(es). Perhaps, in spite of the additonal “Hy.”, this is the 18 year old brother Ernest of the 1901 census?

In the backyards and tunnels of many of the houses in Dodd St, Trickett Road, and Singleton Road, there is a lot of inspection covers over drains that have “W.J. Patchett” inscribed on them: either as Builder or as Contractor, either in Hillsboro or in Sheffield. Has anyone seen such inspection covers elsewhere?

More data, especially, about the later histories of the Hillsborough Patchetts, very welcome.

Thank you, Sheffield Forum.

frits__stuur - glad to hear that the genealogical data is useful, and I'm always happy to look up data on family history websites. Although I have no information on the Patchetts in Hillsborough (apart from remembering seeing their lorry) I can help a bit more with family details. The three Patchett brothers who lived on Penistone Road in 1901, all born in Lincolnshire, were evidently:

Daniel George Patchett, born Toynton, Jan-Mar 1873

William Johnson Patchett, born Toynton, July-Sept 1875

Ernest Henry Patchett, born Stickford, July-Sept 1882

Daniel and William are listed in the 1881 census, living at Stickford with their father Daniel, then aged 36, born at Swaby, and mother Maria P., aged 39 born at Toynton, also two younger sisters Sarah E. and Florence, and two servants. The elder Daniel seems to have been a foreman on a farm, and he and Maria were evidently married in the second quarter of 1872. Daniel is shown in the 1851 census, aged 6 living at Swaby with his parents Johnson Patchett, aged 59 and Sarah, 49, his elder brother William, and a younger sister Ann Maria. Johnson was an "agricultural labourer and grocer". Johnson was baptised at Swaby on 4 December 1791, his parents being George and Frances Patchett.

As for William Maxfield Patchett; it seems safe to assume that he was William Johnson’s son, and he was born in the second quarter of 1901. It would evidently be William Maxfield's lorry that I remember seeing around Hillsborough in the 1950s. I will keep an eye open for inspection covers with the Patchett name!

Encouraged by the success of my appeal on Sheffield Forum for information about William Johnson Patchett and/or William Maxfield Patchett, I now turn to a different – though related – point that I would appreciate any elucidations or information about.

In his Street Names of Sheffield (Sheffield; 2001), Peter Harvey says, for Dodd St, “the street was approved with six others in 1898 for the trustees of M.G. Burgoyne [= Montagu George Burgoyne (1808-1895), owner of Owlerton Manor]”.

I would like to know which ones the other 6 streets were (Harvey doesn’t seem to say).

And, as a non-native speaker, I am not even quite sure what “approved” means. Approval of the name of the street (which Harvey cannot explain)? Approval of the way the street fits in with desiderata of town-planning? Approval for the municipal authorities to take over a private road?

One of the houses W.J. Patchett, builder and contractor, built was 53 Dodd St (and indeed the entire terrace 43-83 Dodd St and 5 Ripley St around the corner)..

I have seen the xerox of an Indenture from 1912 by which the 800 year lease of 53 Dodd St is sold to W.J. Patchett by two Dixons: by John Henry Dixon of Dundarag Pitlochry (* Wakefield, 1838), of ‘Ainu’ fame (see Google, serach for +"john henry dixon" +ainu) and by his nephew, William Vibart Dixon, Gentleman, of Wakefield (*25 December 1850; also Vipart).

Now my question is: how do these Dixons fit in between (the trustees of) M.G. Burgoyne and W.J. Patchett? Is it that they in fact were those trustees, or at least some of them?; and did they thus sell the lease of 53 Dodd St to Patchett on behalf of the Burgoyne estate? Or did they buy the land from the Burgoyne trustees first?; and then later sell the lease in their own right?

Anyone know anything?

Incidentally. What’s with Sheffield and 800 year leases?

Thanks again

Frits

Archived