William J Patchett / William M Patchett

frits_stuur

In case anyone out there is still following this thread.

A source not active on Sheffield Forum informs me that William Johnson Patchett (b. Toynton 1875), builder & contractor, was married in 1897 to Fannie Elizabeth Maxfield; and that their child William Maxfield Patchett was born in the June Quarter of 1901 (reg. Dist. Wortley Vol 9c p347).

So. William Johnson Patchett was indeed the father of William Maxfield Patchett, for whom the builders' merchants business was named that first occupied the site on Dodd St / Trickett Rd, and then moved to 121 Holme Lane.

I continue to welcome any further info on either William J or William M Patchett, and their businesses.

Frits

I am looking for any information on either or both of two men named Patchett, and/or their businesses:

- William Johnson Patchett, a builder / contractor in Hillsborough, active (at least) from February 1906, and until at least 1927; for about ten years he had a workshop at Dodd St / Trickett Rd (perhaps on the site of the former roller skating rink; currently the location of Barkers Furniture)

- William Maxfield Patchett, perhaps the son of William Johnson above; a builders' merchants, from the early 1920s at the site above, Dodd St / Trickett Rd; and from about 1932 at 121 Holme Lane (currently the location of Building Supplies (Holme Lane) Ltd.).

Anyone anything? Thanks

After Holmelne i believe they continued on LANGSETT RD Arthur.

About the business of W.M. Patchett, builders' merchants, at 121 Holme Lane until the early 1970s, Arthur writes:

After Holmelne i believe they continued on LANGSETT RD Arthur.

That is very interesting (to me). As I had just learnt that W.M. Patchett was born 1901, I was ready to jump to the conclusion that he would have been in his 70s by the time his business disappeared from Holme Lane; and that the disappearance might thus have conicided with his retirement (if not actual demise), a.k.a. the termination of the business.

Of course, they might have continued on Langsett Rd under new management, new proprietors even; a new name?

I am not resident in Sheffield or even in UK; is there currently a builders' merchants / building material business on Langsett Rd? (Such that it might be the successor to W.M. Patchett's business)?

Frits

hillsbro reports a finding on William Maxfield Patchett (1901-1971), the son: from http://www.findmypast.com. I had not previously been aware of that source. So, I just invested my 6 pounds 95 and lo & behold: findmypast shows that William J. Patchett died in the April - June quarter of 1931, Sheffield 9 c 567, age 55; with him born in the third quarter of 1875, this has to be the right William J. , i.e. William Johnson.

So we now have;

William Johnson Patchett (father), builder & contractor, 1875-1931

William Maxfield Patchett (son), builders' merchant, 1901.04.18-1971.

I do wonder when W.M. Patchett (son) moved from Sheffield to Brighton; not to mention, why :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure which way to attract the more attention: by reviving the old Patchett thread; ior by starting a new one. So: I'll do both ...

Among the houses W.J. Patchett (1875-1931) built was, 1911-1912, 53 Dodd Street.

First, 1915-1958, in 53 Dodd Street lived Will. (probably William) Askham or Askam (the spellings vary), 'detetective sergeant', and his wife, Mrs Lily Ask(h)am.

Then, 1958-1997, Miss Nelly Burgin & Miss Ruby Burgin.

Anyone know anything about these people?

Thanks.

Archived