What Are The Most Soulless Towns Or Place In The UK

Where to start?

Swindon, Derby, Kidderminster, Oldham, Burnley, Aylesbury, Peterborough, Luton, Ashford (Kent), Yate (nr Bristol), Coventry, Rugby are all the pits.

Reading is the very definition of 'soulless'.

Motherwell, Livingston and Kirkcaldy in Scotland are all pretty dismal, as is Larne in Northern Ireland.

But the biggest hellhole in the entire UK by a big margin has to be WREXHAM. It's worth a visit just to see how appalling a town can be.

My vote goes to Telford. It's a glorified shopping centre surrounded by housing estates. Its one advantage is that it's within walking distance of Ironbridge.

Oh and Milton Keynes. And Luton.

Telford definitely.

It's a horrible, horrible place, the 'town centre' is actually something like Crystal Peaks although a bit smaller, and it's filled with teenagers smoking and pushing children around in buggies.

It's the most depressing place you could ever have to stay, and I had to stay for 6 months :-(

Erm, looking closer to home there is a place called Mexborough. That place is dead, the mono styled buildings, the cheap shops, the greyness and everything else about it sucks the life out of you. There are a few other soulless places in and around, Barnsley town centre is one and of course there are the commuter towns in and around London such as Milton Keynes etc.

My work takes to many of the most depressing dumps in the UK.

So many to choose from but a special mention for;

Preston, Bracknell, Basingstoke, Stevenage, Crawley, Redhill, Redditch, Livingstone, Motherwell and Portsmouth all immediately spring to mind.

I too was paid, not very well I must admit, to spend many a day in the armpits of the world. When I saw a little book in a bookshop in Oxford I had no hesitation in buying it, its title was Crap Towns. OK times change and so do people’s perception of the crapness of places so the publishers produced Crap Towns 2. The book lists the 50 most crap towns, Hull, Cumbernauld, Morecambe, Hythe, Winchester, Liverpool, St Andrews, Bexhill-On-Sea, Basingstoke, Hackney, Portsmouth, Stockport, Crouch End, St John’s Wood, Croydon, Islington, London, Peterborough, Wolverhampton, Didcot, Ascot, Brighton, Aldeburgh, Leiston, Ipswich, Hayling Island, Horsham, Mirfield, Tintern, Peterhead, Oxford, Dover, South Woodham Ferrers, Newport, Billingham, Reading, Maghull, Huntingdon, Hastings, Keighley, Dagenham, Slough, Alresford, Bridgwater, Yate, Skelmersdale, Barrow-In-Furness, Widnes, Hinchley Wood, St Albans.

I noticed that the book is now available in remainder shops and if you see it I recommend you at least thumb through it if not buy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crap-Towns-Worst-Places-Live/dp/0752215825