Fred 'Weerz me dad?' Pass - RIP

maggi

Thanks to the largess of a friend from childhood ,I was able to read 'Weerz me dad?'

It brought back many memory's.

I would not wish these conditions on my worst enemy.

But on reflection we as Sheffielders were better people then compared to what I observe today.

Why?

I have my theory .

What do the forumers think?

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the thread, but wanted to express my condolences to his family. I love that book and always laugh when I read it. It's also very interesting from a historical point of view on the state of post-war Britain. For example - the feelings of working class people toward Churchill and the government. I never knew people felt like that until I read the book.

I do agree with you sweetdexter on the people of Sheffield being 'better' then than now. Of course, I really can't say that for certain, since I wasn't there, but things have certainly changed throughout my life from the early 70's to the present day. So one can assume that it's a similar story.

Also - cats in the cellar! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have just found this thread and done a big search on the internet. The trouble is I cant see anything on his death other than when he first died. Each news piece ends with 'an inquest will be started on Friday' So can someone tell me. Did he commit suicide? was he walking past the flats and collapsed? Thanks

Hi.

I have just found this thread and done a big search on the internet. The trouble is I cant see anything on his death other than when he first died. Each news piece ends with 'an inquest will be started on Friday' So can someone tell me. Did he commit suicide? was he walking past the flats and collapsed? Thanks

Yes, he did commit suicide.

Author, Fred 39 "jumped from flats"

Archived