Edgar Allen One Of Sheffields Oldest Companies

baby barrie

hi i was labourer in the pattern shop for 4yrs till we moved to turton platts when it closed.keith roderick was manager great guy liked his beer.also alan pears who did all trackwork.enjoyed working there till redundancy.where edgars was has not even been used for owt yet.cheers trev

• 10 months later...

dear all, interesting to follow conversation through, Sharkw - worked out who thati s, but won't put your name in public,

so here's one for you, do you remember Latcheye and Froggett and Bluto always going on "who recorded; don't shove your granny while she's shaving".

remember standing at bus stop and could hear them singing in the shower's from there.

i left Edgars in 1985 and left for NZ

C F8M, couldn't work out who u are, drop me an email thru forum (i think u can do that), yes still playing trumpet, semi-professional even.

any news of other edgars guys, i did meet up with John dakin and Graham Algar when we were over for a holiday in 1996.

Well CF8M, worked out who u are, so where abouts in OZ are u, i have been over there quite regularly with work, Sydney, Wollongong (port Kembla steelworks) have an old band mate in hills outside penrith who i caught up with a couple of years ago, been to melbourne many times, and Adelaide (Wyalla steelworks), and transited thru Brisbane on way to PNG port moresby.

so if u are who i think u are you would know a mate of mine from Smorgons - Syd Silk, he did some consulting work with us when i was at NZ steel (few years ago now, i think convertation went like - "if u worked at edgars you would know .... CF8M - well blow me down i said (or similar), cf8m was one of my steelmaking teachers when i was a lad". i became quite a clever sod on BOS, EAF and secondary steelmaking - alas no longer in the game - doing lots of NDT now.

been back to sheffield a few times, as u say it is not the place we remember it as, so i believe it is wrong to forget your past and start bagging it, but accept that you have moved on to another way of life - for better or worse.

Well!

Its not that hard when you Know what CF8M is.

But its great to know you are still in the game,well nearly.

You can type my name into Google and find out a bit of what I'm up to these days.

I did not enter the info on Google and I'm not sure who did,but look up under GCF stainless steels and go to PAK450.

I worked with Syd at Smorgons and the last I heard he was in Thailand.

CF8M

Well CF8M, worked out who u are, so where abouts in OZ are u, i have been over there quite regularly with work, Sydney, Wollongong (port Kembla steelworks) have an old band mate in hills outside penrith who i caught up with a couple of years ago, been to melbourne many times, and Adelaide (Wyalla steelworks), and transited thru Brisbane on way to PNG port moresby.

so if u are who i think u are you would know a mate of mine from Smorgons - Syd Silk, he did some consulting work with us when i was at NZ steel (few years ago now, i think convertation went like - "if u worked at edgars you would know .... CF8M - well blow me down i said (or similar), cf8m was one of my steelmaking teachers when i was a lad". i became quite a clever sod on BOS, EAF and secondary steelmaking - alas no longer in the game - doing lots of NDT now.

been back to sheffield a few times, as u say it is not the place we remember it as, so i believe it is wrong to forget your past and start bagging it, but accept that you have moved on to another way of life - for better or worse.

Hi Jimbo

I think I know you. Are Dusty's son from CSPB and wasn't CF8M En 58J

I worked in the Personel Department of Edgar Allen 1965 to 1967. I was a junior secretary to Stan Fry. I worked with a Mrs. Joan Hughes. Our overall Manager was George Longden. Next door to us was the First Aid Station, Sister Bilton was in charge with another two Nurses. My maiden name was Ann Martin.........