Booze Cruise - Calais

big_g

We’re thinking of throwing a party next year for about 70 people. I was going to just stock up on beer and wine as the weeks went by but then thought about doing a booze cruise.

Anyone done one? Do you save much?

We would be travelling from Sheffield to Dover and would be taking either up to the maximum legal amount back or the maximum the car would hold (Citroen Picasso with seats out).

We were mainly looking at wine (none of that French stuff though - New World is the preference); Champagne - about 15 - 20 bottles; and beer and lager.

When we last went on holiday to France you could buy 25cl bottles of lager in a case of 24 for about 6 Euros. Champagne was less that 20 euros for a known brand. Couldn’t get new world wine at the supermarkets though.

I’ve looked at a few of the Calais supermarket websites and the prices don’t seem to be as good as I thought they would be.

So, anyone else been and was it worthwhile?

Cheers :partyhat:

G

Can you bring me back some fags please?

Ive only done it once and although we did it for a bit more of a road trip idea, we didnt bring anywhere near enough back to make it economically worthwhile, (it was only in a Yaris!) but it was still a right good laugh. Road trips are the way forward, even if you only break even on it it'll still be worthwhile, though in a picasso I reckon you could bring enough back to make it economically sound. I think now that the owness had shifted from the traveller having to prove their stock is for their own use, to the authorities having to prove that it isn't. But dont quote me on that if you get stopped! Perhaps HMCustoms website will have guidelines?

it aint worth it anymore the prices are cheaper across here most of the time and now the (edited) have had to start paying VAT the cream as gone most supermarkets can at least match the french prices but champange would in fact be cheaper thats about all

all the small beer warehouses have gone by now only pidou and eastenders left and eastenders was never cheap anyway the halycon days have gone I am afraid

• 2 years later...

It's not really worth it in my opinion. See here for some answers:

Wine questions answered

Basically, the UK tax on wine is less than £2 per bottle, on average, so in order to make it worthwhile you'd have to buy enough to justify the fuel, ferry and other costs.

£50 in fuel means 25 bottles

£70 in ferry charges means 35 bottles

£30 on meals means 15 bottles

That's 75 bottles just to break even.

A return ticket on the ferry is £35, if you just drive up the road a bit further when you get to Calais you will come to Adinkerke, a small town over the Belgian border, you can stock up with fags or bacca there and will save well over the cost of the ferry, fuel and food.

I will be going myself in the next couple of weeks, beer isnt that much cheaper than the supermarkets over here, but the wine is a good bit cheaper, and you can taste it before you buy.

So, in short, if you buy the right stuff then it is well worth it.

A return ticket on the ferry is £35, if you just drive up the road a bit further when you get to Calais you will come to Adinkerke, a small town over the Belgian border, you can stock up with fags or bacca there and will save well over the cost of the ferry, fuel and food.

I will be going myself in the next couple of weeks, beer isnt that much cheaper than the supermarkets over here, but the wine is a good bit cheaper, and you can taste it before you buy.

So, in short, if you buy the right stuff then it is well worth it.

The wine's still only a couple of quid a bottle cheaper.

Archived