Booze Cruise - Calais

big_g

Has anybody been to Adinkerke recently? Whats the cheapest way, tunnel or ferry? I know the nominal limit is 3200 cigarettes but I want to bring 5000 back (approx 7 - 8 months worth) to make it worthwhile - will customes get narky about that? Am I best to go through the red or green channel? Also how long to drive from Sheffield to Dover?

It used to take us about three hours from Sheffield to Dover with the lorry. A car would be quicker.

We used to stay at a friends house overnight in Adenkerke when our driving hours were up, and he told us that the Customs used to park in unmarked cars making a note of who was overloading on tobacco, radio the car reg through to Dover and they would pull the cars when they arrived. A friend of mine lost his B,M,W (confiscated) that way.

We were pulled regularly, because it was probably noticed that we were there at least twice a month, but we always brought back less than the legal limit as we knew we would be back in a weeks time. The Customs could never understand why we brought so little back, in fact they used to ask us why we hadnt brought more back.

If you do decide to go and you get shedded (pulled) I can assure you your car could be stripped down even the spare wheel.

Guest sibon
It used to take us about three hours from Sheffield to Dover with the lorry. A car would be quicker.

If you do decide to go and you get shedded (pulled) I can assure you your car could be stripped down even the spare wheel.

Sheffield to Dover is 250 miles, or almost 4 hours at the legal speed limit in a car, including a stop half way.

I do the trip quite often. I get stopped fairly often too. The customs guys are always unfailingly polite. They've never stripped my car down, or caused me any trouble. Then again, my cargo is always legal and I don't have a bad attitude.:wink:

Don't think you would do it in 3 hours,its a good 4 hours with no traffic jams,did it last month,set off 2pm and got to the chunnel at 6.45pm with a bit of a hold up on the Road to Hell.

Remember though, that if you buy in Belgium then you are restricted on what you can bring through France!! Customs hang around that border just waiting for the tourists to come over laden with goodies.

They're not there to catch booze cruisers. You can bring as much booze and tobacco (provided it's for your own use) from Belgium into France as you like.

There is often a customs presence on the border (and particularly where minor roads cross the border) but it's there to prevent reduce cannabis smuggling, which is rife.

...I do the trip quite often. I get stopped fairly often too. The customs guys are always unfailingly polite. They've never stripped my car down, or caused me any trouble. Then again, my cargo is always legal and I don't have a bad attitude.:wink:

I used to cross between Dover and Calais quite frequently. - Sometimes in a car, but usually on a bike. I've never been stopped in a car, but it's not at all uncommon to be stopped when riding a bike. - Usually at Dover outbound.

The Customs aren't bothered about what I've got with me, but they are interested in who owns the bike.

I don't know whether they've been tasked with stopping bikes to reduce bike theft, but IMO, it's a very good idea.

Archived