Looks & Smiles (Sheffield film 70's?)

Lee James

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody remember a film being made in and around Sheffield about the struggles of life/unemployment etc made in (i think) the mid to late 70's and it was called Looks and Smiles. It centred around an unemployed guy and his girlfriend. I saw it at school (in early 80's) it was shown as a sort of docu/film. Never heard if it's available to buy or was ever released. Would be a great to see it again!

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/3455295/-/Product.html?searchstring=looks+and+smiles

Only region 1 on here but if you have a multi region player it will be ok.

This is a Ken Loach film and there has just been a ken loach collection dvd come out in uk

which i am going to purchase but for some reason looks and smiles is not on it.

Ebay and amazon uk havent got it either.

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/3455295/-/Product.html?searchstring=looks+and+smiles

Only region 1 on here but if you have a multi region player it will be ok.

This is a Ken Loach film and there has just been a ken loach collection dvd come out in uk

which i am going to purchase but for some reason looks and smiles is not on it.

Ebay and amazon uk havent got it either.

Cheers tara! I'll give it a try!

• 7 years later...

Just resurrecting this old thread. I've just watched this film from 1981 on you tube. It was never going to be an oscar winner, but nevertheless it is interesting for location spotting.

A few of the old WMC acts feature: Rita May (obviously went on to greater things)... Pam Darrell (who remembers the Darrell Sisters and later, Pam and Duggie Darrell ? )...Jackie Shinn... Ernest Johns (well known local variety agent).

See it

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody remember a film being made in and around Sheffield about the struggles of life/unemployment etc made in (i think) the mid to late 70's and it was called Looks and Smiles. It centred around an unemployed guy and his girlfriend. I saw it at school (in early 80's) it was shown as a sort of docu/film. Never heard if it's available to buy or was ever released. Would be a great to see it again!

You could always read the book - by Barry Hines,I believe.

Just resurrecting this old thread. I've just watched this film from 1981 on you tube. It was never going to be an oscar winner, but nevertheless it is interesting for location spotting.

A few of the old WMC acts feature: Rita May (obviously went on to greater things)... Pam Darrell (who remembers the Darrell Sisters and later, Pam and Duggie Darrell ? )...Jackie Shinn... Ernest Johns (well known local variety agent).

See it

A wonderful film that shows that not much has changed over the last 34 years.

Working class kids are still being shafted on low wages or a life on the dole.

You need A levels to be a bloody road sweeper these days as well as having no hope whatsoever of finding a place of your own to live .

Apart from that I wonder what became of the actors in the film as they seemed to be just locals with a bit of talent .

I wonder what became of the actors in the film as they seemed to be just locals with a bit of talent .

Most notable, is Sheffield actor Tony Pitts (in the flim, played Alan, the army lad) who has gone on to make a successful career in TV and film. A lot of the actors in Ken Loach's films were supplied by the ATS Variety agency in Leeds (Stanley Joseph) who also ran the City Varieties theatre. Many club acts who aspired to act were given the opportunity via them.