Gordon Brown's NHS is going to cure AIDS (Labour Party Conference Speech)

Tony

Oh there's more!

MRSA will be a thing of the past, matrons are back on the wards, everyone with a gun is going to jail and foreign criminals are all being deported.

I only have one question....

... what have Gordon & Tony been doing since 1997? :huh:

(apart from half a dozen wars)

I only have one question....

... what have Gordon & Tony been doing since 1997?

* £200 winter fuel allowance; Fathers now get 2 weeks paternity leave;

* Free entry to national galleries and museums;

* Free nursery places for 3 year olds;

* Free prescriptions and bus passes for people aged 65 and over;

* Long term youth unemployment has effectively been eradicated through the “New Deal”;

* Record investment into the NHS, the Education System and the Police;

* Seen the longest period of economic growth in British history;

* The UK minimum wage has been introduced

* £200 winter fuel allowance; Fathers now get 2 weeks paternity leave;

* Free entry to national galleries and museums;

* Free nursery places for 3 year olds;

* Free prescriptions and bus passes for people aged 65 and over;

* Long term youth unemployment has effectively been eradicated through the “New Deal”;

* Record investment into the NHS, the Education System and the Police;

* Seen the longest period of economic growth in British history;

* The UK minimum wage has been introduced

It's really not a lot in the scheme of things though, is it?

That speech today might have meant something if the Labour Party had just got back into power after years in the wilderness - as it was, it was all just a bit sad and lacklustre, and just highlighted how very little New Labour has actually achieved for this country. :(

StarSparkle

It's really not a lot in the scheme of things though, is it?

I can think of a great many things that I don't like about the education system we have now and the associated lack of social mobility that should be much better after 10 years of a Labour government. But as I drive around Sheffield muttering to myself about poor schools and lack of social mobility I keep passing new school buildings bursting at the seams with teachers and equipment. After 20+ years of almost no funding where almost every school had a leaking roof we now see new building all over the place. So, lots of things are a bit cr@p but they have done wonderful things in the 10 years. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the tories broke it all in the first place, and didn't invest in anything, they just sold everything off at a huge discount to greedy people.

Well said KenH. I watched Gordons speech and was actually very proud of the achievements of this country as a whole under the Labour administration so far.

I thought I saw one conference attendee had a tear in his eye at one part. Lets hope the UK can continue to work towards the ideology that was put forward today and look at the big picture.

from Foxy --

the one who with the help of the labour policies and childcare investment is a voluntary director of a not for profit nursery, created under the neighbourhood nurseries initiative. Now able to offer real affordable childcare to those who need it. Soon to be part of a satellite project for the childrens centre hub initiative.

Grass roots investment in people which works!

:D

Archived