What words or phrases do you overuse?

• 6 years later...

Brilliant thread. At least you're all aware of what you're saying and how you speak. (Most people don't seem to). Interestingly, nobody has admitted yet to overusing the word 'like' ('So, I'm like, give us that one, and he's like, ignoring me like, like so I give him like ten quid, etc'.')

Teachers' most overused phrases:

'Am I invisible, or what?'

'Could we turn the volume down, please?

'Hello! Is there anyone out there?'

'That bell is for my information, not yours'.

'Why would you go to the trouble of doing your homework then leave it at home? It just doesn't make sense'.

'When you say your homework fell in the river, what do you mean, exactly?'

On the other hand, perhaps the most unusual thing I ever heard in a school was walking past a year 5 Classroom and caught the following, (delivered in highly exasperated tone by frustrated-sounding teacher):

'YES! But what else don't we find on the top of a mountain?!'

Now I'm a decorator the things I find myself saying most often is 'Tell me why you think a silk finish would be a good idea', 'No, I can't paint your window frames outside in winter' and 'Would it be possible to take all the stuff out of the room before I start, please?':rolleyes:

I use Actually a great deal . Love it !! .

Don't worry. It's not a hanging offence!

I think the technical term is a 'hedge' using a word or phrase primarily to give you thinking time whilst still speaking). It also shows politeness because it's a modifier - it softens the impact of what you go on to say, making it less 'face-threatening'. (As in saving/losing face, not your actual face). If you compare the two utterances 'I think you are wrong' and 'Actually, I think you are wrong', the second is slightly less confrontational.

In theory!

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 14:16 ----------

i say "at the end of the day" far too much....:(

That's what happens when you never get up before 3 pm. :)

So, I can't get you that, it's out of stock.

It's like, why do they leave their trollies in the middle of the aisle?

I mean, it's obvious init?

"Hi."

"Alright?"

Urrmmmm, it's, pretty good yeah.

The bold bits are the words I use to much, the non-bold is context.

Archived