Scrapping the car tax. Is it a good idea?

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

lol t020 you're just looking for reasons to denigrate me it seems - The reason I can zip past traffic on Arundel Gate in the bus lane and read a newspaper at the same time is because I'm not driving - the bus driver is.....

Did you honestly think I drive a car and read a newspaper at the same time?

You'd be surprised how many drivers do that in the morning. Shave, eat breakfast, etc. Well, maybe you wouldn't be surprised. Nothing is that surprising these days.

• 3 months later...

Scrap road tax, put it on petrol at an amount worked out by average engine size, average annual mileage and Bob's yer uncle.

You only use it when you drive, high mileage, big engined cars (4x4 drivers on school runs, boy racers, bentley owners etc.) will pay the lion's share and the poor sap who's car is laid up for months at a time won't have to pay for what they're not using.

It may even cut down on speeders, badly tuned wrecks and encourage car sharing.

Originally posted by markham

Scrap road tax, put it on petrol at an amount worked out by average engine size, average annual mileage and Bob's yer uncle.

You only use it when you drive, high mileage, big engined cars (4x4 drivers on school runs, boy racers, bentley owners etc.) will pay the lion's share and the poor sap who's car is laid up for months at a time won't have to pay for what they're not using.

But we already pay one of the highest rates of fuel tax in the world?

Originally posted by markham

It would also lead to old cars not being removed from the road. If it doesn't need to be taxed there is no incentive to get old heaps of junk off the road - they can be left in the way for free...

Originally posted by fnkysknky

It would also lead to old cars not being removed from the road. If it doesn't need to be taxed there is no incentive to get old heaps of junk off the road - they can be left in the way for free...

True - but it could be made law that you have to display something similar to a tax disc to show that the car has a valid MOT - with similar fines for not displaying same.

Nomme

Originally posted by halevan

Why go to all the trouble and expence of changing the present system? why not retain the staus quo?Why cause innumerable problems for ourselves and making it more complicated than it need be?

In the words of the prophet, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Cool Hal,

Your right whats the whole point, its not going to make things any better, it will just confuse matters.

Regarding taxing those that put more miles in well they already pay for that milage with the cost of fuel they have to put in the tank.

Taxing the motorist to death is not the answer to congestion.

British drivers regularly experience traffic jams on 19% of journeys, compared with 7% in France and 4% in Germany. Britain has doubled its motorway network in the last 30 years, but France on the other hand has quadrupled theirs. We need more roads and we need to stop penalising drivers for using the roads that they fund themselves.

One innovative idea the Lib Dems had a few years ago was to prevent students from bringing cars into the city when they came to University here. Perhaps they should have extended this to students who actually live here and use their cars where once upon a time they would have walked or cycled.

Needless to say when they actually ran the city, albeit briefly, we never heard of this scheme again.

Originally posted by max

One innovative idea the Lib Dems had a few years ago was to prevent students from bringing cars into the city when they came to University here. Perhaps they should have extended this to students who actually live here and use their cars where once upon a time they would have walked or cycled.

Needless to say when they actually ran the city, albeit briefly, we never heard of this scheme again.

I can't understand how students can afford to drive anyway. I sold my car before I came here because there would be no way I could afford insurance, petrol, tax and maintainence as well as food, books, beer etc. with just my student loan.

Originally posted by Sidla

I can't understand how students can afford to drive anyway. I sold my car before I came here because there would be no way I could afford insurance, petrol, tax and maintainence as well as food, books, beer etc. with just my student loan.

Don't exaggerate. Insurance and petrol can be high, especially at our age, but I'd much rather pay more money and be in the comfort of my own car than have to use the awful public transport system. Who knows what I'd catch and who I'd have to sit/ stand up next to? It also saves a lot of valuable time. Its horrible waiting in the cold and the rain for a bus thats always late.

Archived