Pongo Jenkinson

whisper

• 4 years later...
Can anyone remember a local boxer called Pongo Jenkinson.If so do you have any info or memories of him?..I would imagine he would have been a boxer in the 30's..I know it's a long shot being so long ago but just thought I would ask.Thanks

There are a few stories about Pongo Jenkinson in the Sheffield's Famous bricklayers thread.

• 9 months later...
Can anyone remember a local boxer called Pongo Jenkinson.If so do you have any info or memories of him?..I would imagine he would have been a boxer in the 30's..I know it's a long shot being so long ago but just thought I would ask.Thanks

Just joined the forum on reding this inquiry.

I am a Jenkinson,nicknamed Pongo by my grandfather the late Oliver Jenkinson.He was born August 1911 and came from the Jerico district of Sheffield.He boxed under the name of Pongo as did his father Frank.They were a family of brick layers who worked all over Sheffield.He was a teriffic grandad,very funny without being funny,if you know what i mean.Only 5`tall,but strong as an ox.He sadley passed away 17th june 1987,but left me some great memories.

Archived