Ice Cream Vans

Pilon

Originally posted by Bushbaby

The worst Ice Cream Van I ever saw was called Mr Flaver. He lived on Wordsworth near the filling station, and would plug his freezer into the the streetlamp overnight He had loads of pictures of different lollies on the window, but all he'd got in his freezer were Zooms and FABs. He used to break the flakes in half, so his 99s were 49s. He was really miserable too - hated kids. He didn't last long though, went back to being a window cleaner after a few months.

Did he change his name to kirky :heyhey: :heyhey: :heyhey:

I worked at Hulleys in the 70s packing tubs, screwballs and using the piping machine . the icecream came out continuously so if you got behind filling the empty tub you were in trouble.

the fruit in the icecream came in tins.

We had to wear little white wellies and a hair net -even the men lol.

My old school chum's dad was an icecream man -(manfredis)

in the shiregreen area.-60s 70s.

He lived on molineaux road.

Anyone remember him ,mr turner was his name forgotten his first name could have been fred.

Her name was Gillian, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

I lived on Princess Street Norfolk Bridge and remember the ice cream trike in the 50's also remember helping the Sunday paper man who used a horse and cart, used to get 2/6p and some seasoned yorkshire pudding from an old lady on the route, food for the gods on a cold winters morning. We would go back to the stables for a ride on Dolly the horse, wonderful memories

I don't think anyone has mentioned Taggi's icecream, One of the best. Their shop was somewhere at the bottom of Gleadless Rd, I think I have read Plain Talker remarking about it .

Going to the catholic schools I went at the same time as the Granellis and the Manfredis, And on Holy days of obligation (days off school ) Carios, at the top of Scotland St used to bring round trays of icecream sandwiches to the school for after we had done our stint in church.

After which we were left to wander the bombed buildings of which there were an awful lot.

Hazel

I'm talking 1960s here.

Something I could never understand was the "Walls" policy of selling Iced-Cream in rectangular chunks, and having cones with an oblong container section, but they were each of different sizes, so that when you put the iced-cream in the cone, it wobbled like fury.

It wasn't just a small amount of "play" in the dimensions, it was a totally diferent size and shape.

Perhaps it was designed by the same idiot who decided to put a hotel next to the Peace Gardens?

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by lint

i remember taggys ice cream they were based at heeley also sanellas they parked up at endcliffe park (my ex used to work for them)and weston park

Just found this thread. My grandparents used to live in Darnall - we used to always het either Manfredi's or Hill Top Dairies (?)

I remember that one being a favourite.. just in time for the wrestling on 'World of Sport'!!!

Glory days.

'Aggie' used to come around Foxhill in the late 1940's/50's. Used to run outsoide wi mi dads pint mug, gorrit filled fer a tanner!! Mam used to buy a Walls 'brick' for Sunday tea. Still remember the Walls van's chimes.

My Auntie used to own an ice-cream van (lucky me) free cornets on a sunday afternnon and realy proper flakes yes the realy ones not those cheaper ones that you sometimes get.

My favourite though was the screwballs the ones where you found a bubble in the bottom that tasted lovely? I used to get 2 in my screwball ice-cream.