Ice Cream Vans

Pilon

Originally posted by tara

I worked at Hulleys in the 70s packing tubs, screwballs and using the piping machine . the icecream came out continuously so if you got behind filling the empty tub you were in trouble.

the fruit in the icecream came in tins.

We had to wear little white wellies and a hair net -even the men lol.

My old school chum's dad was an icecream man -(manfredis)

in the shiregreen area.-60s 70s.

He lived on molineaux road.

Anyone remember him ,mr turner was his name forgotten his first name could have been fred.

Her name was Gillian, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

was hulleys on barnsley road ??

i rember my mum and aunt workin in a ice cream place that was on bottom of barnsley road just befor the high greve pub,

if it was not this one does anyone rember the name of it.

Originally posted by tara

I worked at Hulleys in the 70s packing tubs, screwballs and using the piping machine . the icecream came out continuously so if you got behind filling the empty tub you were in trouble.

the fruit in the icecream came in tins.

We had to wear little white wellies and a hair net -even the men lol.

My old school chum's dad was an icecream man -(manfredis)

in the shiregreen area.-60s 70s.

He lived on molineaux road.

Anyone remember him ,mr turner was his name forgotten his first name could have been fred.

Her name was Gillian, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

i use to live on the flower estate in the 70's & i can recall an ice cream van called (yankee boy) does anybody else remember it?

Guest poppins

Irene

I can only remember Hully's and Walls ice creams, but there was always one outside Western Park gates, one one each end, always had my cone with a choc flake on top.

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

Was that "dum dum, dum dum dum!"?

I thought it was more like "dee dum dum dum dee deeee" But that could have been manfredis.

A mate of mine had all his windows double glazed so that his kids wouldn't hear the ice cream van......

• 1 year later...

J. Clayton (Hillsborough) had several vans in the 1950s and 1960s. John Ronksley is still going in Hillsborough - he and his parents used to work for Clayton's. There were also Granelli's, Truffelli's and (a long time ago) Molinari's. Early on summer Sunday mornings in the 1930s my grandfather used to send my dad on his bike to fetch a load of dry ice (from Granelli's in Broad Street I think). Grandma would then make the ice cream in her "copper" and they would cycle to Ashopton to sell cornets and sandwiches.

adsetts at manor top they used to make the favourite JUBBLY,S the son went on to make sheffield insulations the company it is today and the building on hallam campus named after him all from a little ice cream factory on the manor it was,nt really it was arbourthorne