Anyone who's had automatic driving lessons

I have always driven manual cars since 1982,but i got my 1st automatic around 18 months ago and i wouldn't go back to a manual gearbox now,no way!!The automatic is alot better,wish i'd got one years ago.

But having said that,if i was learning to drive now,i would learn and pass in a manual,then you aren't limited in the future and you can choose either then.

• 3 years later...

My wife has an automatic only license and to be honest it's a pain in the arse

Severely restricts the choice of new cars, which you have to pay extra for as well.

Plus they often have lower mpg and higher road tax.

Learn in a manual, at least you'll have the choice then.

Why do they have higher road tax?

They only have lower mpg if you drive a stick shift perfectly. Most people don't.

As the emissions are higher, normally putting them into a higher tax bracket.

Don't forget either, a manual model probably comes with a large selection of engines, whereas the autos are normally restricted to a handful of them.

why? nobody else seems to want to drive correctly,take mini roundabouts for instance,do the instructors actually teach people the correct process for them cos personally iv found very few people who know how to use them,especially women most of them would be better off in a dodgem car,they just sit there anyway

I've been driving over 40 years (automatic) but If I had to get onto one of those ring roads in the UK, I'd pull off to one side and wait till everyone had gone home, then maybe around 2am I'd get on.

yes but in the uk you only drive an auto when you cant drive properly :D

Hahah .. exactly why I have mine. Tis a doddle now .. apart from the bad days when I can't even twist slightly so if I had to reverse I would have to rely solely on my mirrors and I always like to cross check.

Other than that .. it's perfect for me as I am unable to use my left leg with any pressure.

hi i had a manual gear box for over thirty years then through a medical condition on my left leg, i bought an automatic car, and you dont need a seperate test but you do f its the other way round, if you have always driven an auto box you do need a test to drive an auto.

i find driving an auto much better than a manual box, you just put it in drive(4) then off you go no need to worry about changing gear, stalling, wont roll back on a hill but can creap forward on flat, if you dont use hand brake, or foot peddle,

auto gear boxes these day are far better than they used to be far more reliable, no clutch to change, and just as fast as manual if not better. i would never go back to a manual box neither would my wife, or step sn, in new zealand you cant get any thing else good luck

steve

Archived