Does anyone like breakbeat?

Dan_Random

Does anyone know what breakbeat is ????

I've been DJing this sort of music for the past 4 or 5 years and always find that people like it, they just don't know what it's called.

The top guys in breakbeat or breaks are the likes of The Plump DJ's, Adam Freeland and Stanton Warriors. The best description I've heard of it is...

"Well, house music goes Boom Boom Boom Boom, whereas breaks goes Boom tish Boom Boom tish."

It'd be good to find some other breaks fans in Sheff :D

The only problem with this music is it is completely lost in its own arse, because it is refered differently by different cats in the industry.

I have heard UK Garage, drum n bass, disco loops, drum breaks, techno, big beat all using this same title breaks and it is very frustrating. I suppose this is what makes it unique, however it is far from being an original formula, but still at least innovative at the same time.

Real Break beat to me will always be foundations of hip hop, Apache, funky drummer etc. This new thang breaks is just 2007 flava.

Probably the best flava that sounds remotely a hybrid between hip hop, techno has to be bashment reggae. I am referring to underground Bashment like what the soundsystems play, Winston Hazel, myself tend to always play it in a set (Lenky style productions). However there is not many places to play this sound. I class bashment reggae as breaks because of its mixes of influences and also in the begining reggae music helped forge the development of hip hop, (kool dj herc / jamaican dj)

Does anyone know what breakbeat is ????

I've been DJing this sort of music for the past 4 or 5 years and always find that people like it, they just don't know what it's called.

The top guys in breakbeat or breaks are the likes of The Plump DJ's, Adam Freeland and Stanton Warriors. The best description I've heard of it is...

"Well, house music goes Boom Boom Boom Boom, whereas breaks goes Boom tish Boom Boom tish."

It'd be good to find some other breaks fans in Sheff :D

I have to say I like some of it, although I think I prefer breaks....have been told it's different but maybe it's not, who knows. Anyone???

Anyway, It's dead easy to mix but I have to say I prefer dnb to breaks but some of the tunes are great! I like Freak Nasty - think he is breakbeat - he;s fab!!!

Some interesting viewpoints here :D good to see this sort of discussion...

For me breakbeat has always been an open and inclusive genre with the ability to both influence and absorb other styles and flavas. It can be a very slippery thing to define, with a range from the laid back funk type grooves of people like Plaza da Funk and Grand Def Audio through to the full out assualt of the tearout boys like the Breakfastaz and CTRL-Z.

Personally I prefer the midle ground of bass heavy but still musical artists such as the local boys M.I.Loki, the great Bob Kickflip, and record labels such as Ape, Sinister and Streetwise.

little bit of a plug here (sorry) I'm resident at Future Funk where we've decided to go headlong into the breaks route and will be booking a lot of up and coming talent over the next year and we've got an proper blinder of a breaks line up with Baobinga & I.D. and Ben & Lex who have been churning out proper monsters of breaks tune for the last 6 or 7 years.

If you've got time, have a listen to a recent mix me and my brother did for one of the breakbeat radio stations here...

The Randoms 45 min Breakbeat mix.

would love to know what people think of it :D (I can't imagine it'll send you to sleep though ;) )

Archived