Does anyone like breakbeat?

Dan_Random

Did I say something stupid? :confused:;)

I know house, trance, techno, Drum&Bass, deep house and I think I know what progressive house sounds like.. but after that the genres are beyond me I'm afraid! I just go to house nights and hope for Remedy / Scuba kind of stuff.. but often get disappointed these days. Its most unfair!

Did I say something stupid? :confused:;)

I know house, trance, techno, Drum&Bass, deep house and I think I know what progressive house sounds like.. but after that the genres are beyond me I'm afraid! I just go to house nights and hope for Remedy / Scuba kind of stuff.. but often get disappointed these days. Its most unfair!

Then I hope you'll be popping down to Undone @ the Fez next week. Sounds like it'll be right up your street!

Breakbeat as in Hardcore from late 1990 to 93 and peaking in 1992 when it took over the pop charts and the recordindustry got so worried that they made it that you had to play live on Top of the Pops knowing that it impossible to reproduce a lot of hardcore/rave tracks live.

Loved it still play the classics now Acen, Sonz of a Loop de Loop Era, Run Tings, 2 Bad Mice, House Crew, Nebula II, EARLY Prodigy (Your Love etc), T99, Praga Khan, Hackney Hardcore, and a thousand more... lovely stuff...

Big Beat...couldn't stand it...horrible substandard stuff with rock influences that was only fit for drunk students....students?they should have just stuck with their indie rubbish and kept out of the clubs

Breakbeat as in Hardcore from late 1990 to 93 and peaking in 1992 when it took over the pop charts and the recordindustry got so worried that they made it that you had to play live on Top of the Pops knowing that it impossible to reproduce a lot of hardcore/rave tracks live.

Loved it still play the classics now Acen, Sonz of a Loop de Loop Era, Run Tings, 2 Bad Mice, House Crew, Nebula II, EARLY Prodigy (Your Love etc), T99, Praga Khan, Hackney Hardcore, and a thousand more... lovely stuff...

Big Beat...couldn't stand it...horrible substandard stuff with rock oinfluences that was only fit for drunk students....students?they should have just stuck with their indie rubbish and kept out of the clubs

I dont think it was called "Hardcore" until after 93, and the term was quickly hijacked by "Happy Hardcore" I was a big party goer in 92 (Castle Morton, Lechlade) onwards and would listen to "rave" "techno" and "jungle".

Urban Gorilla used to be breaks but seems to be supporting many genres of house music now. Mainly tech house and minimal as well as breaks.

This is what i loved about UG when i first went. Haven't been for a couple of years now. Get the impression i would be disappointed due to changes over time with the music

I dont think it was called "Hardcore" until after 93, and the term was quickly hijacked by "Happy Hardcore" I was a big party goer in 92 (Castle Morton, Lechlade) onwards and would listen to "rave" "techno" and "jungle".

Pedant Alert! :wave:

It was known as hardcore long before 1993. DJ Seduction's Hardcore Heaven was released in late 1991/early 1992 which is precisely about the time I got into the whole scene, and it was known as hardcore as far back as I can remember.

But if you want to look for the origins of breakbeat, although it certainly wasn't called that back then, look nor further than The Winstons' classic "Amen Brother" from the 1960s. The drum solo in the middle of that was sampled and used on probably about half of the hardcore rave tunes released in 1992 and is probably the most sampled drum loop in history. Ask any producer about "The Amen Break" and they will instantly know what you mean.

you what:roll:...hardcore was almost dead in 93 the split was occuring into jungle and happy hardcore.

i can't believe i'm actually having to tell anyone this but Hypnotist -Hardcore You Know The Score 1992, Hackney Hardcore tracks mostly 1992, House Crew We Are Hardcore 1992, DJ Seduction Hardcore Heaven, Q-Bass Hardcore Will Neve Die 1991, etc etc

or did I dream them all...I remember the term first being used around 1990 i think Hardcore Uproar (***** track and not really hardcore) came out that year

and you must have invented jungle if you were listening to it in 1992 as noone else was as it didnt exist. Johnny Jungle usually thought of as the first jungle track didnt come out until 1993 and even that could still be said to be semi- hardcore. ...

you what:roll:...hardcore was almost dead in 93 the split was occuring into jungle and happy hardcore.

i can't believe i'm actually having to tell anyone this but Hypnotist -Hardcore You Know The Score 1992, Hackney Hardcore tracks mostly 1992, House Crew We Are Hardcore 1992, Hardcore Heaven DJ Seduction, Q-Bass Hardcore Will Neve Die 1991, etc etc

or did I dream them all...I remember the term first being used around 1990 i think Hardcore Uproar (***** track and not really hardcore) came out that year

and you must have invented jungle if you were listening to it in 1992 as noone else was as it didnt exist. Johnny Jungle usually thought of as the first jungle track didnt come out until 1993 and even that could still be said to be semi- hardcore. ...

Have you been going through my record box? :suspect:

Archived