Does anyone like breakbeat?

Dan_Random

I don't know how you can classify a genre of music as 'breakbeat'. Breakbeat for me is electro (proper elctro, not this bastardised version pushed out by the Ministry of Sound and the like), drum and bass, early rave stuff (lenny dee ice, sons of a loop da loop era, prodigy), the big beat phenomenon of the mid 90's (wall of sound etc), hip hop, even some very old funk (the funky drummer by James Brown springs to mind). Now we have what's called Breaks, which seems to me to be a more electronic tinged version for the present day.

So, I do like breakbeats? Yes, always have always will, but the breaks thing just doesn't move me at all. For me it doesn't have any soul, it's too manufactured compared to the genres I've listed above.

Each to their own, but I have to agree with you WYEXILE.

My thoughts/feelings exactly, it's not emotive.

I'm just old school :)

But if you want to look for the origins of breakbeat, although it certainly wasn't called that back then, look nor further than The Winstons' classic "Amen Brother" from the 1960s. The drum solo in the middle of that was sampled and used on probably about half of the hardcore rave tunes released in 1992 and is probably the most sampled drum loop in history. Ask any producer about "The Amen Break" and they will instantly know what you mean.
Pedant Alert! :wave:

I'm almost certain Funky Drummer is the most sampled record ever

• 10 months later...

Reviving! I'm off to a party on the weekend which is apparently gonna have a hefty supply of breaks. So to get me in the mood I'm listening to lots of it, haven't delved into my breaks/ breakbeat collection in quite a while.

Any recommendations or mixes, old or new? Especially old!

Looking through the past discussion, the genre talk confuses me. I guess I'm talking about the newer breaks type stuff.

• 2 months later...

Archived