Spear and Jackson Saville St

tonio

hi my wfe sent a mess (lindy) i was at spears in rolling mill the man who worked at club was fred walker he was the roller i worked with him for 8yrs i remember walter steele he set me on when i first went to spears my father was the engine man who started mill.his name was lawrence or (curly) his mate on oppisite shift was arthur hall he worked there for about 50yrs. do you remember roger sawtell works director.cheers trev

Well Trev....

I remember Roger Sawtell but I remember your dad much better.

I started at Spears in 1957 as a trainee chemist and became shift manager/steelmaker in melting shop in 1964.Your dad used to come across to the lab on the nightshift to make up a four at solo.If I remember correctly before he worked at Spears he was a lorry driver.Do you remembae the polish guy who worked in the pickling shop.Health and safety would not allow anything like that now.By the way the besoms would go a bomb at garden centres today

hi

yes the polish guy was tony gruchot he was was furnaceman.i wonderd wat dad did to pass time on nights.(lol)there are a lot of guys i knew but cant think of names.wat was the guy in melting shop called. small guy i think his son was a melter he was big believer in herbal medcine.also billy betts worked on high freak was a good friend of mine.we was both on commitee at local club. cheers trev

I worked there from 1975 till 1979, I was in the Rolling mill. I remember Albert Hall, his opposite number was a bloke called Walt, but I cannot remember his last name. The shift manager was a small bloke, he was on the committee at the Pitsmoor WMC. can't remember his name either. Another manager I remember was a tall bloke called King I think he was a section manager. The Rollers were Fred Walker, and Albert Smith, Albert's father was a Roller before him. And Fred Walkers brother was a shift manager at Samuel Osborn's in the Wicker.

hi

it was arthur hall his oposite number was walt he took over when my dad retired.king was in charge of hardinin shop i worked with george smith&albert.there was jack marsden we called him mush.also bell better known as chinny.albert was a big man or as my dad said strong in back weak in head. i left in 1973.i worked most of my time in mill with fred walker i was odd lad then backer then middler ralph was furnaceman.

cheers trev

Hi. trevordnc. Can you remember Walt's last name? or the mill managers last name? he was a small bloke. He was on the committee at Pitsmoor WMC. I worked with Fred Walker at times, Jim Horton was middler then. Freddy Bell (Chinny) worked with Albert Smith and Jack Marsden. Do remember Tony Heathcote small lad used to drive the fork lift? I think he sometimes worked with the bloke that operated the heat treatment furnaces.

• 8 months later...

Hi tony here i used to work in the melting shop jimi horton was my brother and and my dad jim horton worked on high freq also pit man here's a few names i can remember tony boon, little mark, little chris, little arthur, frank huteson, bill bradley, sam booth, crooner, little mack, ken thorpe, ernest skinner, tom bailey, burma jim, diddy david, ray marshall, billy betts, walt ganley, fred dungar, frenchie, ronnie, cornbeef, it was a nuthouse LOL also plumpers pub where we used to go aswell