Saint Johns Church

allthegearno

Does anyone remember saint john's church?

it was located at the back of the hyde park flats.

my sister got married there in the late 60s it was beautiful then.

thats before they took up a lot of the gavestones and used them to make a pathway around the graveyard dessicration.

i also remember a tomb that said these babes are not dead but in a deep sleep as young kids our imaginations use to run wild when we first read that does anyone know if the church is still there and if so as it changed?

also if anyone can email me some photo's i would be most greatefull thanks (steve)

I doubt that the gravestones were intended to be a path. They were moved, I assume, to make it easy to mow the rest of the churchyard. Although I would have preferred that they had stayed in situ at least they didn't remove them completely.

Hugh

• 1 year later...

I was married there in 1966,in those days the rules on joint passports were funny so Rev Parker held it before we got wed, trouble was he forgot to bring it with him for the ceremony.

I had to get up early Sunday morning and fetch it from his house which I think was on Manor Oaks Rd before he went to morning service. Happy days.

My wife live in the Hyde Park flats about 100 yards from the church but her pa took her on a drive round Sheffield in the wedding car so that she was just a wee bit late as was the custom

I was married there in 1966,in those days the rules on joint passports were funny so Rev Parker held it before we got wed, trouble was he forgot to bring it with him for the ceremony.

I had to get up early Sunday morning and fetch it from his house which I think was on Manor Oaks Rd before he went to morning service. Happy days.

My wife live in the Hyde Park flats about 100 yards from the church but her pa took her on a drive round Sheffield in the wedding car so that she was just a wee bit late as was the custom

...still there ..and so is the ORIGINAL front entrance door - which so many people had their wedding photos in front of from over 50+ years? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

Archived