Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

mike_w

My husband and I worked at Newton, Chambers from early 50's to mid 60's. We remember all the names in the Apprentice Training School. Eric Gale was the Cashier but also involved in the Musical Society. My husband worked in the machine shop at Warren Lane. I attended the Business Training College. It really was a fantastic firm to work for. Never imagine it to become a housing estate!

I wonder what year you were at the Business Training College under the watchful eye of Miss Mary Berry? Do you remember Kathleen Hoyland, who started there in 1954, and later worked in the Engineering Typing Pool before becoming secretary to Ken Sheard and Bill Lever? Have you seen the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook, where some old pics have been posted?

I wonder what year you were at the Business Training College under the watchful eye of Miss Mary Berry? Do you remember Kathleen Hoyland, who started there in 1954, and later worked in the Engineering Typing Pool before becoming secretary to Ken Sheard and Bill Lever? Have you seen the Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook, where some old pics have been posted?

Hi - I started at the BTC in 1953. First worked in the White building, then the Labour Office, Chemical Works (Sec to Manager) and after starting a family at Warren Lane 1967 to 1969. I remember Ken Sheard. I shall visit the Facebook. Is that what I enter "Remember Newton Chambers"? regards Barbara Blackburn (nee Bishop)

hiya Malc, glad you and Barbara are well ,i certainly remember M Meadows ,i went onto the copy lathe when he went into the army ,do you remember him painting Auther Clough,s bowler hat from red and white to blue and white ,Barnsley had a cup match on and mick repainted it in the dinner time and he had it on when Auther came back from dinner .Cloughie walked straight down to the copy lathe and dropped mick one on the chin .the last time i saw you was when you waS ON SHARDLOWS sports ground ,you knocking golf balls about .what M Meadows doing ,Bri xx

Thanks Brian. We have had a good laugh at the "repainting of Arthur's hat". Think I must have left when that happened. Have no idea where Mick Meadows is. Not seen him for many years. Would like to access the Remember Newton Chambers facebook page but do not know how to get in. Can you advise? Malc and Barbara

Hi - I started at the BTC in 1953. First worked in the White building, then the Labour Office, Chemical Works (Sec to Manager) and after starting a family at Warren Lane 1967 to 1969. I remember Ken Sheard. I shall visit the Facebook. Is that what I enter "Remember Newton Chambers"? regards Barbara Blackburn (nee Bishop)

Hi Barbara, If you're on Facebook, just enter Remember Newton Chambers and I think you will then need to ask to join. I will look out for this, and enrol you --then you can have a good look at what is on there. As I recall, there is not much on about the Excavator factory, but you might be able to recruit some more members from up there. I knew a few people from up there, most notably Harold Brookes, from Grenoside. I think a chap called Haigh or Hague was one of the big bosses up there; he lived in Chapeltown, up near the school, and had a daughter called Maureen who worked in Engineering (or it may have been HQ). By the way, in the Engineering typing pool (Miss Shardlow was the supervisor) there was a young woman called Rita Blackburn --any family link? Looking forward to seeing you on Remem ber Newton Chambers. Keith F

Hi Barbara, If you're on Facebook, just enter Remember Newton Chambers and I think you will then need to ask to join. I will look out for this, and enrol you --then you can have a good look at what is on there. As I recall, there is not much on about the Excavator factory, but you might be able to recruit some more members from up there. I knew a few people from up there, most notably Harold Brookes, from Grenoside. I think a chap called Haigh or Hague was one of the big bosses up there; he lived in Chapeltown, up near the school, and had a daughter called Maureen who worked in Engineering (or it may have been HQ). By the way, in the Engineering typing pool (Miss Shardlow was the supervisor) there was a young woman called Rita Blackburn --any family link? Looking forward to seeing you on Remem ber Newton Chambers. Keith F

Hi Keith

I have tried entering "Remember Newton Chambers" and did not get any results. I will go on now and try again.

Hey up Brian, I remember you very well. Yes I did have long blonde hair, wish I'd got a bit of it left now! Still live local in Hoyland Common. Last time I saw you was in Thornclife Pavillion playing snooker, probably 10 years ago. Must go and see Alwyn now you've told me where to find him, be great to see him and see how he's changed, he was a real character just like a lot more who worked there. Ken Armatage still kicking, he's a neighbour of mine , lives in Tinker Lane, I see him a lot in the Star pub in Hoyland Common where we rem anise about the Excavator factory . . perhaps we could arrange to meet up one night for a pint? Think Eric Taylor still lives in Jump; he was always winning the apprentice of the year award, last time I saw him he was managing an Engineering company. Not sure but think Chris Alred might still be alive! See ya . .

Chris Allred died around 2011. Lived in Worsboro Village

hi .Malc ,yes Chris died in 2011,he lived by the church in Wors>village opposite the pub,the bowler hat painting episode took place in 1958 so you must have been on nights ,being on nights was somtimes very interesting to say the least ,old jack Denton doing his nut with card games ,cricket or football going on or forageing in woods ,do you remember when Marriot put a knife fork and spoon in the tool post when he was mateing Eric Kirby on No.6 com, turret ,when he had done for the night to highlight Eric,s inability to set up.and Marriot,s slaps on the back of the head as he walked past ,yes Mr. marriot a real crackpot ,but a good lad and a wery good pieceworker ,he lives at 4 Box Lane Cranleigh Surry .

I did training from leaving school at Newton Chambers Ltd in the early 80's, i was one of the 1st 40 to join on a YTS scheme. The chaps there were very skilled fellas indeed, there was a saying that a year at NC was as good as 3 at the NCB. Some names i remeber are;

Ivan Martin - Draughsman (still about, lives near Hoyland)

Nev Elliot - Pump shop

Eric Wing - Joiners Shop

Mick Wragg - Enseco Shot blasting/painting

Bob Johnson - Fitter in boilershop

Stan & Alwin - Garage

Allen - Boilershop boiler monitor and tormentor of company cat, walked with limp if i remember rightly as he had Polio i believe.

Had some happy days there.

• 1 month later...

We heard the sad news this morning that Arthur Clough died last week after suffering a stroke. During his time at Newton Chambers, Arthur worked at Warren Lane.