Newton Chambers & Company Ltd

mike_w

• 2 weeks later...

Nimrod-I remember Fred Noble very well he was in charge of maintenance at Warren Lane factory, I remember once being told to find out the total weight of a large Richards horizontal borer and was told Fred was the chap to see.I went to the machine with Fred and he just looked at each section in turn and gave me a weight, I was well impressed. He was very down to earth, easy to talk to and knew his job. He did get a bit agitated sometimes when the pressure was on him but on the whole he could handle it. Ted Hills

Funny that Fred Noble's name should crop up. Only the other day I was looking through some copies of The Star for July 1953 and came across a news item which said: "Harry Noble, chainsmith at Newton Chambers, has retired after 55 years service at Thorncliffe. He joined the firm at the age of 13, and has two sons working there."

One of these sons would, I believe, have been Fred (I think in later years he lived at Thorncliffe Lane), and the other son, whose name I have forgotten, was an office manager or something of that sort.

I wonder if any surviving members of the Noble family will read this!

By the way, the name George Molyneux rings a bell. I don't know what area he came from to work at NC, but I recall him as a pleasant and popular guy.

I seem to think there has been another thread discussing this story -On it I said my Dad Frank Hibbert worked at Newton Chambers for most of his working like 1950 to 1990 - he bought a house on Thorncliffe Lane and during his last few years at work used to do the security for the Little Side Foundry. His neighbour was George Molyneux(a motor bike fanatic) sadly George died a few years ago. I worked at N&C as secretary to Mr Colton Chief Metallurgist. My Dad still sees some of his work mates in Chapeltown. When we speak I tell him whats going on on the Forum and he starts reminiscing. He recalls many of the people that are mentioned on the thread. I hope someone remembers him it will make his day.

Going back a bit here 1870-1930s,whilst researching family history found my great great grandad Reynolds was a wagon shunter at thorncliffe and my great grandad Reynolds painted the rail wagons,it seems both spent there working lifes at newton chambers.Does anyone know of any books regarding this time period for the company?

Shaner 13, I can only suggest that you try the Central Library's Local Studies and ask about a history of Thorncliffe by H.E. Elliott that was serialised in the works newspaper, the Thorncliffe News, in the 1950s. How much info of the kind you seek will be found in this I am not sure, but it might be worth trying.

Shaner 13, I can only suggest that you try the Central Library's Local Studies and ask about a history of Thorncliffe by H.E. Elliott that was serialised in the works newspaper, the Thorncliffe News, in the 1950s. How much info of the kind you seek will be found in this I am not sure, but it might be worth trying.

thanks,ille give that a try