Was the Cossack a gay pub ?

alex3659

If I had any mates coming to Sheffield, by train, for the first time we would always say meet in the Cossack then I had another mate, who was a real daft bugger, go in with a bunch of flowers and get down on one knee.

StJohn

In the 60s it certainly had a reputation but the term 'gay' wasn't the one in use then. I seem to remember it was a 'lock up' pub with no living quarters. The toilets were outside round the back and I think the brewery was Tetley.

Here is a pic I took of the cossack in 2000

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/thecossack.jpg

The pub was single storey because the upstairs was destroyed by the Luftwaffe in October 1940. It was quite an old pub built in 1833.

Wow! Thankyou for posting that photo, muddycoffee! I've printed it out to keep! What a great reminder of my early days of gay pubbing and clubbing! Thanks again! :DXX

(Excuse all the exclamation marks but I'm really chuffed at the picture!)

You are most welcome sugarpuff.

You may like to visit my website where I have been surveying many of the local pubs where that photo came from.

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/sessions.htm#table

there is another forummer who has also made a similar website, and I am aiming to add a link to it the next time I do some work.

:)

Wow again! I've now got a picture of Rebels aswell! I spent my late teens and early 20s in the Wap, Yorkshireman and Rebels! Shame there's not a pic of the Wap. I've printed the Yorkshireman and Lion's Lair as I drank in both :D

You are most welcome sugarpuff.

You may like to visit my website where I have been surveying many of the local pubs where that photo came from.

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/pubs/sessions.htm#table

there is another forummer who has also made a similar website, and I am aiming to add a link to it the next time I do some work.

:)

That pub in your photos called ''Flares'' - that was the West Street Hotel wasn't it ? A smashing pint in the 1970's.

having spent a long time of my childhood living on eyre lane where my family were caretakers of a factory ,i used to go to the globe pub landlord pete drabble..... down the road in the seventies a gay man called pete had the cossack, i was allways told it was a gay pub was this true ?

Can a fish swim