Was the Cossack a gay pub ?

alex3659

sorry I didnt know any names of the bar staff but I remember her had blonde hair. Problem with the Cossack it changed hands a lot in later years I think the last people to have it were the same people who had Planet night down Attercliffe. Seem to remember a bus parked in front of the pub to take people down Attercliffe pubs and club. The Cossack was ruined by the last owner who paintem the inside grey and purple wrecked before that had nice paneling and brass around the top of the bar does anyone have any photos of the inside?

I went in the Cossack a few times it was alright, seem to remenber it had a U-shaped bar in the middle and the building itself was a Prefab built after the war. I would say most of its customers were gay never had any bother while there. In the mid 1990s it was renamed But a Ben but soon changed back to Cossack. Last time I went it started to go downhill I think it closed in November 2003 then pulled down in 2007 shame in one way not many Prefab pubs left and never seen any photos of the inside.

Prefabricated? I understand it to have been built in 1833. The first storey was destroyed in the blitz.

Here's a picture of it in the sixties before the chimney stacks were demolished.

Prefabricated? I understand it to have been built in 1833. The first storey was destroyed in the blitz.

Here's a picture of it in the sixties before the chimney stacks were demolished.

Thanks for the photo. The Cossack suffered a direct hit in December 1940 raid there was little left to salvage only part to remain undamage were the cellers. Tetley built a prefab over them the prefab was meant to be a stop gap but due building materials been short supply didnt happen the prefab had three rooms inside hence the stacks these were later made into one with bar in the middle. The Cossack was a mix of prefab and remains of the old pub plus a rare example of a prefab pub and now gone for good.

Thanks for the photo. The Cossack suffered a direct hit in December 1940 raid there was little left to salvage only part to remain undamage were the cellers. Tetley built a prefab over them the prefab was meant to be a stop gap but due building materials been short supply didnt happen the prefab had three rooms inside hence the stacks these were later made into one with bar in the middle. The Cossack was a mix of prefab and remains of the old pub plus a rare example of a prefab pub and now gone for good.

That makes sense. I often wondered how a building could lose just the upper storey.

the blitz answer has cleared a lot up for me, too, I wondered how it could have only taken the top storeys out, as well.

There are a couple of houses at the bottom of the hill which are nestled among the normal terraced houses, with the same bay windows etc, and connected to the others, but for as long as I can remember they've only been the lower storey, I wondered if the cossack was the same.

having spent a long time of my childhood living on eyre lane where my family were caretakers of a factory ,i used to go to the globe pub landlord pete drabble..... down the road in the seventies a gay man called pete had the cossack, i was allways told it was a gay pub was this true ?

up to a few years ago it still was dont know about now.