Sunday Lunch

Macca

i also need somewhere for sunday lunch.. not a pub meal though, preferably italian, or just steak, burgers and chips kinda food.

Its for my parents and grandma who are coming up from london, so I want it to be nice, not too casual like a pub. Has to be in town, west sheffield (broomhill, crookes, fullwood, ecclesall road, sharrow etc) or in the peaks somewhere not to far.

Please help :) Harriet

I know the Yorkshire Arms (?) is meant to be good, is a pub, but the food is supposed to be tops.

Head out on the A57 towards Manchester, and turn left at the lights on Ladybowyer, it's on the right just after the damn.

(NB it was just a bit to far for us to travel last week)

Originally posted by liencam

We ended up in the sportsman at Crosspool.

Very nice food actually, I went for the Steak and Ale pie... pretty boring I know, and it's probably replaced Chicken in a basket as the standard pub fayre!!

BUT, this was a little different, it was a compete pie, as apose to some stew and a pastry lid, and it was very nice, the pastry was superb.

I would highly reccomend it.

The Sportsman at Hallam is better still (IMHO). Great sized portions, definitely home-cooked and not badly priced at all. Unfortunately they don't take any cards but that pleases the blue rinse brigade which frequents the place!

Joking aside, next time you're up that way, give it a whirl. Sunday lunchtime there's hot beef sandwiches, only, proper sized portions with horseradish sauce served in a bowl, not those pathetic little sachets!

And then there's the beer, including Timothy Taylor Landlord, John Smith's Magnet and for those wishing to walk home, Stella.

It's a proper pub and no, I don't own it or have anything else to do with it, except eat and drink there!

Originally posted by HarrietStar

i also need somewhere for sunday lunch.. not a pub meal though, preferably italian, or just steak, burgers and chips kinda food.

Its for my parents and grandma who are coming up from london, so I want it to be nice, not too casual like a pub. Has to be in town, west sheffield (broomhill, crookes, fullwood, ecclesall road, sharrow etc) or in the peaks somewhere not to far.

Please help :) Harriet

Yankees on Eccesall Road always does the trick for my young family (5 and 2 year olds) and it's not sport/TV obsessed like Champs (and I'm not criticising the latter, I go there too).

It's chips, burgers and pizzas and not badly priced. There's parking nearby too.

If your folks are stopping late, I definitely recommend Piccolo's on West Street. It's an italian with a difference. Not particularly cheap but if you like your steak with a decent bottle of Valpolicella, this is the place.

Archived