Millhouses Park & Lido

Does anyone remeber the great old days of the lido. Even the paddling poold in millhouses park - Isn't it a great pity that the area has gone downhill... There doesn't seem to be much regeneration - The rotting pools and cheap attempt at making a play area for children.

Why can't a private company take the area on and bring back a lido/ outside pool area for all to enjoy. Given the ver increasing warmer summers and climate change - surely there are more yung adults an people wanting to enjoy the sun and bathe where once was a great complex.

Maybe one of the problems was poor management and the fact that all sheffield folk got free entry - based on this the area just went to seed. There, in my humble opinion, has to be a charge for such facilities.

What do you think..?

I remember the Lido at Millhouses park, back in the 70s when I was a lad I spent many many hours at that park playing football, cricket etc...I did'nt go to the Lido more than a couple of times though. When the weather was OK thousands used to head for Millhouses Park and Lido, it was the biggest attraction in Sheffield - in the Summer. BTW I don't remember the Lido being free ! Well Millhouses Park is only a shadow of it's former self now, but I thought there were some ongoing attempts to restore some of it's former glory, anyone know ?

Summer '75 and '76 were glorious, endless days of hot, dry weather. Anyone remember the hosepipe bans? I've never seen so many people washing their cars at midnight! I remembe the Lido, lots of couting done there! I've had some really good, cheap days out at Millhouses when my kids were young, in fact we used to do a different park each day in the sumer holidays all for the cost of (subsidised bus fare) and a lolly. Wonder if you could do it now?

Oh I remember being a little kid playing in the Lido during the seventies. I used to love Millhouses park as a kid, playing on the little putting course with my Grandad and trying to dunk my cousin in the boating pond.

Those were the days. :D

For my last few years in England I worked across the road from the park and often I'd go across and eat lunch there or take a walk. I always thought it was such a shame how the place had been left to fall into ruins.

millhouses park in the forties,my Mother took me there to sail my galleon, and one could hire a rowing boat for a small fee. The lido was never free,I taught my ex-wife to swim there and we took our small boy,but he was terrified of water. The park was maintained immaculate,by a team of gardener's who took a pride in their profession.There were tennis court's for the enthusiast's,we spent many happy weekend's in the bathing pool and sunbathing,it was the place to go on sunday's. Sadly,due to year's and year's of vandalism,the council decided to let the vandal's have it as they were not prepared to waste money on it any longer.This world has been taken over by the yob's in society and even the police cannot do anything about it. :D

• 1 year later...

I remember the Lido ,Millhouses Park was fantastic in the late 60s & early 70s,I played football there for the Abbey Wanderers ( Abbey Glen).My kid brother broke his ankle in the Lido he jumped in at the shallow end & hit his foot hard on the bottom ,it took the Hospital 3 weeks to find the break.Some great memories of going to the park with all my mates from Heeley.

Archived