Millhouses Park & Lido

Guest poppins

Is the paddeling pool still down rivelin ? people use to drop there kids off in there to play without having to keep an eye on them every 5 min, go for an ice cream or a pint, what's the name of that pub at the bottom of the hill there ? it was always packed in side and out on Sundays.

Originally posted by poppins

Is the paddeling pool still down rivelin ? people use to drop there kids off in there to play without having to keep an eye on them every 5 min, go for an ice cream or a pint, what's the name of that pub at the bottom of the hill there ? it was always packed in side and out on Sundays.

Hello poppins,

the name of that pub at the bottom of the hill is The Holly Bush Inn. I had my first pint of beer in there in 1962. I think the paddling pools have been closed down for a while now.

deecee

It's hard to believe that Millhouses Park could be in such a state of disrepair. I left Sheffield in 1968 for Canada and have only been back a couple of times. One of my favorite memories of the 1940s was sailing my model yacht on the boating pool. There used to be a model boat club then and old guys with lovely boats every day. Then they turned it into a full size boat rental place and spoiled it. Millhouses swiming pool had the coldest water in the world outside Alaska, as well as the highest diving board.

My auntie used to live near Millhouses Park, and we often used to go there in the summer when I was younger. The Lido had already gone then but the paddeling pools always used to be very busy. It was difficult to find space on the grass around the pools to sit down. I've been back since and find it very sad that, in about 10 years, the place has gone to rack and ruin.

I also remember playing on the dodgems and rides that were in the park in the summer, getting an ice cream from the van, and playing football with my grandad on the field.

I remember counting trains going past on the railway line.

Happy times.

Originally posted by Dronfeldian

Does anyone remeber the great old days of the lido. Even the paddling poold in millhouses park - Isn't it a great pity that the area has gone downhill... There doesn't seem to be much regeneration - The rotting pools and cheap attempt at making a play area for children.

Why can't a private company take the area on and bring back a lido/ outside pool area for all to enjoy. Given the ver increasing warmer summers and climate change - surely there are more yung adults an people wanting to enjoy the sun and bathe where once was a great complex.

Maybe one of the problems was poor management and the fact that all sheffield folk got free entry - based on this the area just went to seed. There, in my humble opinion, has to be a charge for such facilities.

What do you think..?

I used to go to Millhouse Park Lido as a kid and teenager, I used to love it, the summers seem to last for ever back then..

I agree, a private company or even a Public Private Partnership (PPP) would be a great investment for to build another lido in the park.

I took my daughter to Millhouse Park last summer and there is nothing there, even the boating lake is falling to pieces? Millhouses is a nice area of Sheffield and more people would visit and spend their money it the park was invested in.

i used to live at heeley when i was little.(in the fiftys)me my brother and mum used to catch the tram on our road it took us to the terminus at millhouses park.sadly flats are there now.

there used to be two fenced in playground areas.one for little children and the other for older ones.there used to be two pathways that lead you to the lido ,the top path would be the entrance to the lido.the bottom path would go to the paddling pool.on the way there you had to go over a bridge on the right of the bridge everyone knew that the river was quite deep and wouldnt even attempt to go in it .on the left of the bridge it was alot shallower,this was the over flow from the paddling pool area.i remember in the summer it was the best park to go to and have fun all daylong.if we were lucky my mum would give us money to get a lolly. can allways remember havin to que for that and for the tiolets too just beside the boatin lake.

when i got married and moved to meersbrook i used to walk there and push the big pram, u had no chance of gettin on a bus with that.my oldest daughter and nephew had a good day on the boatin lake while i sat watchin them .that day the baby got a suntan even though she was in the shade of he pram it was a lovely hot day .ididnt realise how hot it had been till i got home and saw the tan we all had.even the baby had a tan although she had been in the shade of her pram.

its a great shame the park isnt the same way it used to be in the past.full of life and people .now its full of memorys in the minds of everyone who loved it and the times they had.

• 1 year later...

I learned to swim in the open air swimming pool in about 1940ish,I think it cost a penny to go in but you could get tickets free from school.I played water polo for Oak St. swimming club a couple of times when they were a player short at Heeley baths. I was useless though because i would throw the ball with one foot on the bottom hoping the ref. couldn't see,but he always did.

I remember going to the lido when I was small in the late 70's and then again when my kids were small - to the paddling pools - they were a bit grotty by then though - late 80's.

There was a pub acoss the road - robin hood - i think? That is where I met the first boyfriend - and I had my first kiss across in the car park - wow - what a memory 1981....

i can remember the park in the sixts hot summer days spent in the outdoor baths befor it became a lido some times get in through the fence you could also get in free if you turned up in just your swimming costume loved the baths that much that even went on cold days that cold there would only be me there:gag: there were sun traps for those that just whanted to sun bathethe lido was good but i missed the old baths ;this is one thing sheffield could do with again :cool:

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Millhouses Park is in a poor state. We lived near for a couple of years and spent lots of time around the park - tennis whilst dozens of people played with boats in the boating lake on a Sunday morning, watching cricket at the east end of the park, footy at the other, great food and drink in the cafe/restaurant and even being invited to try bowls by one of the teams who are based there! Dozens of youngsters use the specially designed skate park, there is an adventure playground and trail for kids and the place is packed on a hot summmer's day with picnicers (sp.?) and young families. This was all only last summer.

I can only imagine what it used to be like but it's certainly not bad at the moment.

Archived