Eaton surname in Heeley.

DUFFEMS

That's my cover blown!!

It's like being found when you're playing hide and seek, you think you've found the best place possible then some cleverclogs knows you're there.

Regards,

Duffem (There's only 1 Duffem at the moment as the other Duffem is at work!).

At least it proves that you've learnt something from the book.

Apparently, in years gone by Heeley people didn't like being called "Duffems" as it was a derogatory term used to imply that they didn't pay, but, we know that Heeley folk were as honest as anyone. It was a term used by outsiders such as Meersbrook people who objected to Heeley people slipping into Meersbrook to avoid paying taxes/tolls.

Regards,

Duffem.

The Eatons I'm trying to find surviving relatives of were living in Heeley around the 1920era. I have a John H Eaton living at 174, Gleadless Road in 1923 who appears on a birth registration, as "the informant" and I'm trying to ascertain the connection.

It's a long shot that anyone would be researching the Eaton surname but, more particularly a specific Eaton.

I would welcome any information from anyone who has Eaton in their line who's done research into the family.

Regards,

Duffem.

Archived