J.P.Bean talks at Fire Museum

Big Buster

Does anybody know anything about them? I read J.p Beans' book Sheffield Gang Wars years ago and there's a poster in a window on Division St syaing he's doing some talks starts the 9th October at Fire museum west Bar. One of them about gang wars and some more about crime in Sheffield and Charley Peace.

Big Buster. I've been down to the fire museum today. Your right, he's doing a talk on the Sheffield Gang Wars on Tuesday October 9the 8pm. I saw him give a talk before in a church hall - very entertaining. Have you read the book?

Cap'n Hendo.:hihi:

Hiya Capn. Yes - I said I'd read it. Some time back. It's a great read. I went to the fire museum myself, Sunday to check it out. They are freindly people there. The guy said J.p. Bean's doin 4 talks , one evry fortnight. He's doin 5oo years of crime in sheffield. Bendigo - don't know what that ones' about and Charley Peace,. like you said. The gang wars is the first one. You might know all this but anybody else might find it usful. Nice one

A short season of talks by JP Bean

The Sheffield Gang Wars

Tuesday October 9th at 8pm

Battles between the Mooney Gang and the Park Brigade for control of the Skye Edge Tossing Ring, leading to the murder of William Plommer and the execution of the Fowler brothers.

Five Centuries of Crime in Sheffield

Tuesday October 23rd at 8pm

Murderers and madmen, burglars and thieves, conmen, garrotters, hanging, flogging and deportation. Some familiar names - others long-forgotten. Crime and criminals in Sheffield from 1428 to 1900.

The Life and Times of Bendigo, Champion of England

Tuesday November 6th at 8pm

The eccentric William Thompson, better known as Bendigo, was the undefeated bareknuckle champion of England in the mid 19th century. Bendigo was landlord of a pub in West Street for a short while. He was also an angler, a drunkard, a jailbird-turned-preacher and leader of the Nottingham Lambs. Tonight will be the first time JP Bean has delivered this entertaining talk, which is based on his book Bold as a Lion.

Charlie Peace - His times and crimes

Tuesday November 20th at 8pm

Charlie Peace, born in Angel Court, off the Wicker in 1832, remains one of the most notorious criminals of the Victorian era. A burglar, musician, animal lover and murderer, he was hanged at Armley Gaol in 1879 for the Banner Cross murder. Peace's pistol and spectacles are on display in the Fire and Police Museum.

Each talk will be followed by a Question and Answer session and will be held in the Fire and Police Museum at West Bar in Sheffield

Tickets for talk and admission to museum, £4

Please contact the museum as soon as possible to book. Refreshments and FREE Car Parking at the rear of the Museum

telephone: +44 (0)114 2491 999

http://www.firepolicemuseum.org.uk

info@firepolicemuseum.org.uk

The Fire & Police Museum, Old Fire Station, West Bar, Sheffield, S3 8PT.

Archived