Huge Spiders!!! - Had any in your house lately?

Nice looking spider.....looks like a Wolf Spider to me. We have this nice variety of brown spider...largish, that come out only in the heat of summer. They spin their webs in the evening and then take them down at dawn. I don't mind them so much but they persist in spinning them at the opening to my back door. If I have to go out after dark, I have to bend down to avoid walking into the web. :mad: They aren't harmful but a bit of a nuisance.

Are they Orb Weavers? I've got loads in my garden and the little tinkers always spin webs across the back door! They're beautiful things.

Tip for arachnophobes - if you find a spidey in the bath or shower, drape some bog roll like a rope ladder over the edge so spidey can climb out. :thumbsup:

Are they Orb Weavers? I've got loads in my garden and the little tinkers always spin webs across the back door! They're beautiful things.

Tip for arachnophobes - if you find a spidey in the bath or shower, drape some bog roll like a rope ladder over the edge so spidey can climb out. :thumbsup:

Googled Orb Weaver and saw a picture. They are, indeed, Orb Weavers. Now I have a name for them at last! They are beautiful and I try never to disturb their webs. I think they like my back door as I usually have the light over the door on in the evening and it attracts all matter of flying insects. Going to have a read up on them right now!

Thanks for the info!

We have a fair number of Jumping Spiders here in the US....not sure if you have them there. They are my all time favorite spider. They range from very tiny to medium size and you can recognize them from their stocky little bodies and their jerky movements. They can actually jump a long way and their little faces can be quite expressive. Google Jumping Spiders and the first pics that come up are the best.

I have a monster spider here... size of your hand, I jest you not.

Have a look at my Flickr pages, I think I put a pic up there of him with a beer can for scale! :)

I daren't look at your pics :gag::hihi: You would have loved the spider we saw on holiday, big fat hairy tarantula :gag: never seen a restaurant clear so fast when that came running in :hihi:

We've had a couple of little spiders at home recently but not many big ones, i'm sure we're due some though :help::gag:

We have a fair number of Jumping Spiders here in the US....not sure if you have them there. They are my all time favorite spider. They range from very tiny to medium size and you can recognize them from their stocky little bodies and their jerky movements. They can actually a long way and their little faces can be quite expressive. Google Jumping Spiders and the first pics that come up are the best.

Just googled it, they look ugly and scary :gag:

I daren't look at your pics :gag::hihi: You would have loved the spider we saw on holiday, big fat hairy tarantula :gag: never seen a restaurant clear so fast when that came running in :hihi:

Can imagine the restaurant scene now with people scampering out of the way as a hairy 8 legger stalked the area!

My new baby spider is actually quite sweet - honest! :suspect:

Red legs and little black 'boots'. Lovely colouring :love:

Can imagine the restaurant scene now with people scampering out of the way as a hairy 8 legger stalked the area!

My new baby spider is actually quite sweet - honest! :suspect:

Red legs and little black 'boots'. Lovely colouring :love:

Oh yes, it cleared within seconds! They can run pretty fast too!

I'm still not looking, even if you do say its lovely :hihi:

We have a fair number of Jumping Spiders here in the US....not sure if you have them there. They are my all time favorite spider. They range from very tiny to medium size and you can recognize them from their stocky little bodies and their jerky movements. They can actually jump a long way and their little faces can be quite expressive. Google Jumping Spiders and the first pics that come up are the best.

Oh God, oh God! Not the jumping spiders! As kids, we used to like to get right down on the ground and observe them. Their behavior is quite entertaining and they do have little faces almost like a person with big eyes. If you're quiet, you can hear the sounds they make like clicks and pops. I was cured of this habit when one day, without warning, one leaped right at my face. Of course the other kids took the opportunity to tell me they saw the spider stuck in my hair. I never did that again.

There was a huge Daddy Longlegs in the bathroom the other day who was making himself right at home, but hubby disposed of it. Generally, if spiders are outside, I try to leave them alone. In the house is another matter.

Yes, there massive, walking around as though they own the flippin place. They give you a look as though to say " Dont you dare swot me mate !!" :mad:

They can give that look all they like, every one that's walked into my house has left it three foot wider. I hate spiders!

Archived