Best Karaoke in Sheffield - what does it take?

MusicMad

What makes the best Karaoke?

I run the Karaoke at the Pheasant in Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield 6 every Friday and Sunday, and i would like to know what people want from a Karaoke night, should the host be a good singer? should there be music between the singers, if so, what kind? What do YOU want from a karaoke?

let me know.

Err for me...A little bit of music in between music of a chart/pop variety but if I go to a karaoke (as I do very regularly) I'm there to sing not to listen to music. I expect a good choice and am spoiled by my favourite KJ's in Sheffield with their selections of songs - all the old faves and bang up to date. I expect to be listened to and a smattering of applause is nice when I've finished. Not particularly bothered if the host can sing because they shouldn't be hogging the mic anyway...one to start, one to finish. To be picky, I like me and my friends to sing at similar times so we can all sing our selections and leave without one of us missing out. I like there to be an order to how singers are called up so everyone gets a fair turn...if I arrive at 8 and leave at half 11 and only sing once I'll be annoyed- treat regulars nicely! Most of all I like a host to be friendly and welcoming...unlike one sheffield KJ I could mention!

Sorry to sound like a diva but assumed you'd want honesty! I have karaoke's that I go to on a fri (a lot of competition on a fri - including 2 of my faves) and sundays are good nights...do a thursday and me and my girls will be there!!

i totally agree .

i am a dj kj if your getting paid to let punters sing dont hog the mic

i only do private parties & ask if they want music in between singers

& what kind of music . it all depends on what mixture of age groups

there is .

you do see some kjs who think people pay to see them.

you also get the ones who stand there like a stuft monkey all night.

if the singers are slow to come up i threaten to sing that works most of the time.:hihi:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-215654.html

http://waggyskaraokediscoroadshow.blogspot.com/

If you want to see how a good karaoke is done, Check out MJ's in Attercliffe. Thursday - Sunday from 8 til late. Thousands of songs. Everyone has the chance to sing as much or as little as they want to. Great atmosphere from both the bar staff and DJ's. A real weekend party. Oh and a fancy dress box for the adventurous!!!

As a karaoke dj i only sing when i have no singers (very rarely) or if i'm asked to duet with someone i prefere to let singers sing, like someone as already said karaoke is for the people not us presenters.

saying that a host with a decent personality who looks like their enjoying themselves goes a long way in my book

I used to go to one in the Sportsman in Stannington on a Thursday, was good till the DJ started charging too much for his equipment and song books so they had to discontinue it cos poor old Jean (Landlady) couldn't afford it.

Anyone know of any Karaokes that's on tomorrow night? I normally go to the quiz in the Robin Hood with my Uncle but he's away this week.

I used to go to one in the Sportsman in Stannington on a Thursday, was good till the DJ started charging too much for his equipment and song books so they had to discontinue it cos poor old Jean (Landlady) couldn't afford it.

Anyone know of any Karaokes that's on tomorrow night? I normally go to the quiz in the Robin Hood with my Uncle but he's away this week.

There are 3 in the city centre that I know of...

The Nelson hosted by KJ Venom

The Moorfoot hosted by Classic Rock & Redrocker

The Hubs hosted by myself

All within a few minutes walk of each other....

• 1 month later...

The best karaoke I've ever been to in Sheffield is the one run by Andy Jay! His catalogue is the largest and most diverse I think I've ever seen. The sound equipment is good, and he is a very karaoke host.

He is also a very good singer, very entertaining and lets everybody have a their time to sing, whether they are good and bad and praises everybody the same.

I first went to his karaoke at the Old Red Lion (Top Red) and Grenoside. I really enjoyed going. He doesn't do the Red Lion anymore, but he does the Pomona and Nelson Rock Bar every week. I think I'll have to take a trip to the one of these pubs soon, so I can have a go again.

Andy is also a Forum user as well, goes under the name of KJ Venom.

If you happen to read this Andy, thanks for a great karaoke, and I hope to be along soon and bring my sis with me!!

Archived