Cutlery workers

flossie

does anybody remember tina waite and ethel holmes at george butlers...ethel was one of the buffers down there...quite a few years have passed ..ethel has sadly passed away quite a while back...

god how many years ago did they work there. I worked there from mid eighties and they didnt work there then, my parents worked there too, long before I did, but still I knew everybody from when I was at school and used to go there alot then. will ask my parents if they know them.

does anybody remember tina waite and ethel holmes at george butlers...ethel was one of the buffers down there...quite a few years have passed ..ethel has sadly passed away quite a while back...

My wife & myself remember both Tina & Ethel, Tina had a sister called Sheree who also worked there for a time & we both worked with Sheree in the early sixties when we all worked at Lee & Wigfalls on John St at what is now the Stag Works which doesnt seem to produce Cutlery any more its mainly for up and coming bands to practice.

about sipels i worked there 1953 on the machines thay got from germany i beleive the were called bank pollishing machines i was the first in sheffield to work on them i also did lots more buffing polishing finishing press shop warehouse i also married a man who had sister who worked there if you get intouch i can tell you more

• 3 months later...
hi yes i worked at siples 1953

Hi,

I have a set of knives made by B&J Sippel Ltd, polished stainless steel blade, etched company name, with ivory handles, in a cardboard box. Would you know for how long ivory handles were in production? After 1948?

regards

cutleryquest

Archived