Cutlery workers

flossie

Can anyone tell me how to contact someone who has made a posting? Is it possible to contact them direct via email? I am new to the forum and as a result have no idea whether this is possible or how to do it. Thanks Cheawa

Send a private message. Click on the name of the person who you want to contact and send pm

My brother worked as an apprentice at Joseph Rodgers in Pond Hill when he left school in 1968 and then at bottom of Moor. The cutlery made then and probably most of post war period had bone or stag (antlers) handles. My first job was as office junior at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce which was then situated in Cutlers Hall and I can remember seeing year knife which I believe was made by Joseph Rodgers. I worked there from 1966-1967 straight from school. I also remember seeing Dave Berry in Davys delicatessen which was where W H Smiths is now

I can remember seeing lots of Dave Berry as he lived very near to friends of my parents. I also remember seeing him and also Joe Cocker at the Esquire club located near the old Tram depot which was quite near to the old Kennings gargage and show room, very near to the train station, cant remember the street name though, would it be Shoreham Street? The Sheffield archives is quite near by. I returned to Sheffield for a visit last week. Walked down a small walk way near to or along side the Central methodist hall. Does anyone remember the cafe which was the in place to be seen in Sheffield in the 1960's Cant remember the name of the place. Also visited the Central Library, does any one else remember as I do visiting the library theatre. Its sitauated under the Central Library and is approached from the rear films were often shown there on Saturday mornings. I remember taking my first girl friend there (cheap skate).

I can remember seeing lots of Dave Berry as he lived very near to friends of my parents. I also remember seeing him and also Joe Cocker at the Esquire club located near the old Tram depot which was quite near to the old Kennings gargage and show room, very near to the train station, cant remember the street name though, would it be Shoreham Street? The Sheffield archives is quite near by. I returned to Sheffield for a visit last week. Walked down a small walk way near to or along side the Central methodist hall. Does anyone remember the cafe which was the in place to be seen in Sheffield in the 1960's Cant remember the name of the place. Also visited the Central Library, does any one else remember as I do visiting the library theatre. Its sitauated under the Central Library and is approached from the rear films were often shown there on Saturday mornings. I remember taking my first girl friend there (cheap skate).

Think that was Leadmill Road

• 4 months later...

I worked at B&J Sipples for 5years from 1964-1969 as an apprentice Maintenance Fitter and then left to go to Richard Brothers down the moor. I remember going through the Buffing Shop and being petrified of the women shouting, "get his trousers down and see whats he,s got", I could run then..............Ha Happy Days:hihi:

My Mother, Aunt, and Grandmother worked in the cutlery and scissor trade including buffing.My mother and aunt worked at Taylors Eye Witness on Milton and Egerton Street, it was like walking into timewarp.I know this was years ago, but it was like a museum even then.

I have family members that worked at Sipples and Taylor eye witness

Tony Dylla, Graham Lee, Polly Lee, Margaret Moor, Maureen Thomlinson. Elsie Woolhouse, And at Tayor eye witness

Albert & Tommy Thackeray, Some of the above went to work at George Butlers including my Dad Mum Auntie Granddad Great Uncle

My Granddad Retired from George Butlers in about 1991 ish and he has been mentioned in this thread quite a few times. Glad to know his name still lives on, since he has now left us.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I worked at Vineers for some years.It was amazing just how skillful the people were and what lovely things they made - To watch a fluted silver bowl being made was humbling,as was the creation of a multi armed candle stick -ldm

Archived