Would you rather go to the Old Blue Ball or the Rawson Spring?

the-lioness

Since the Rawson opened three months ago- have you been there more than the Blue Ball or will you remain loyal to the Blue Ball? personally we havent been to the Ball once since it opened- its so much better in the Rawson and they dont let as many of the idiots in plus its a lot nicer in the rawson and the drinks are a lot cheaper. And I like the outside area.

What does everyone else think?

Interesting question, the-lioness. I've not been in the Ball for ages - it always seems a bit of a cattle market/hell pit to me, but having called in at the Rawson a couple of times in the last fortnight I can't say I'm overly impressed. The beer's well priced (although the Pedigree I had didn't seem quite right), but I find the place very noisy and the bar staff seem to be rather inexperienced and the waiting time to get served is way too long. I've not tried the food and don't really intend to, but it was massively busy with families eating out on Sunday afternoon - where do they all come from? There must be someplace somewhere that's lost a hell of a lot of custom - or perhaps it's the novelty value of having somehwere in central Hillsborough where the food's (allegedly) worth eating...

I've lived in Hillsborough for 15 years and have never been to the Blue Ball.....but have been to the Rawson Spring (unofficial meet there tomorrow night - see thread) and I like it.

Now I am on my own I like to pop in for a coffee and a people watch in the afternoons.....time to think, time to reflect, time to catch up on my thoughts. Admittedly some of the bar staff don't know the difference between a cappuccino and a latte but that is minor detail....had my first meal out in a very long time there - had a curry and it was lovely....the outside space is good.....and keen prices and good company make it a good place to spend some time. :D

yep- the bar staff do seem a bit dumb! like i had to tell one of them which bottle the rasberry sambucca was in haha!!!!!

i havent eaten there yet- only go down on a Thurs and Friday nights but I like it cus its full of people I know and its got a good buzz.

One of the bar staff in the Rawson goes to the same Karate class as me, guy called Adam, however he's a green belt and I'm a blue belt, so I'm a bit better than him! :D

I'd rather crawl over broken glass than drink in the Ball.

The Rawson Spring is a rare thing, a pleasant pub in the vicinity of Hilsborough Corner, but the staff do seem to be under heavy sedation.

Each time we've been in the beer and the food have been great and the prices are cheap, but while they're friendly, the staff are very slow and there always seems to be more of them wandering about clearing tables and gabbing in the pot-wash than serving at the very long bar!

I think I can top The-Lioness's sambucca moment with the time I asked for a bottle of Magners and the woman behind the bar admitted she couldn't find the cider fridge...when she was standing in front of the massive ruddy thing!

I'd rather crawl over broken glass than drink in the Ball.

The Rawson Spring is a rare thing, a pleasant pub in the vicinity of Hilsborough Corner, but the staff do seem to be under heavy sedation.

Each time we've been in the beer and the food have been great and the prices are cheap, but while they're friendly, the staff are very slow and there always seems to be more of them wandering about clearing tables and gabbing in the pot-wash than serving at the very long bar!

I think I can top The-Lioness's sambucca moment with the time I asked for a bottle of Magners and the woman behind the bar admitted she couldn't find the cider fridge...when she was standing in front of the massive ruddy thing!

but the cider fridge is huge!! doesnt suprise me- I shall report back to you guys tomorrow if any funny things happen in the Rawson tonight lol

I don't rate the ball, dirty, crowded and like Halibut said a bit of a cattle market. Went to the Rawson along with Julado and gang yesterday and it was great. We had a side room all to ourselves :hihi:, the staff didnt even hassle us when it was kicking out time, (they just turned all the lights off instead :o)

I have had a carvery dinner there on a sunday and it was lovely.

BTW: Its a destination pub, the other Sunday I was waiting for the tram and as it pulled in loads of people got off and ALL headed straight into the pub.

Archived